Jalandhar is an ancient city situated in the north Indian state of Punjab.
Jalandhar has many religious as well as other kinds of attractions. Here are some of the popular spots to visit or check out in Jalandhar:
- Rangla Punjab Haveli – A traditional Punjabi themed village area; with local folk arts and a traditional and colorful ambience.
- Wonderland – A theme park with rides and games.
If you are planning a trip to Jalandhar, do not forget to pay a visit to these below listed places :
- Jang-e-Azaadi Memorial – A memorial dedicated to freedom fighters of the country
- Devi Talab Mandir (Hindu temple)
- Gurudwara Talhan Sahib Ji (a Sikh worship place)
- Sodal mandir
- Tulsi Mandir Temple
- St. Mary’s Cathedral Church
- Nehru Park – One of the oldest and most-loved parks of Jalandhar
Some of the best museums to visit in the city are:
- Shaheed-E-Azam Museum – a historic museum dedicated to warriors who sacrificed their life fighting for the country.
- Pushpa Gujral Science City – a science museum, with science and technology themed ambience.
Some principal festivals that are celebrated in Jalandhar include:
- Lohri – A winter folk festival celebrated in most regions in and around Punjab, in the month of January.
- Baisakhi – Punjabi New Year, and a harvest festival in Punjab.
- Holi – festival of colours celebrated all over India, especially Northern and North western India.
- Basant Panchmi – a spring festival; a celebration that marks the arrival of spring (during this time Punjab’s mustard fields are usually flourishing with their yellow crop).
- Diwali – The festival of lights; celebrated all over India in October-November.
Jalandhar has a bustling street shopping scene, with many of its scanty lanes filled with markets - selling leather goods, traditional handicrafts, handloom items, sports accessories, clothes and furniture; which are an integral part of the city. Apart from these, the city also has some malls and bigger shopping complexes. Here are some of the best shopping spots to check out in the city:
- Rainak Bazaar
- Sadar Bazaar
- Model Town Market
- Kala Shree (for north-Indian traditional and festive clothes like Sarees, Lehengas, Ghagras and Kurtas)
- Maya Bazaar
- MBD Neopolis
- Curo High Street Mall
- DLF Galleria Mall
- Centrum Jyoti Mall
- Vasal Mall
- Viva Collage Mall
Jalandhar’s food scene is filled mostly with Punjabi and north Indian delicacies, and street food delights, along with foods from world cuisines like Chinese, Italian, and many more. Here are some local delicacies to try in Jalandhar:
- Rajma – Kidney beans curry cooked in tomato-onion gravy and lots of fragrant local spices.
- Punjabi Samosa – A flavorful potato curry stuffed deep fried triangle snack.
- Punjabi Kadhi – Deep fried pakoras (fritters) dunked in a thick, tangy yogurt-based gravy.
- Tandoori Chicken – Chicken grilled and cooked in a tandoor; tender with a smoky flavour.
- Raoh ki Kheer – a porridge made with boiled rice cooked in slow heat with sugarcane juice.
- Chhole Bhature – Deep fried wheat flatbreads (Bhature) served with a delicious chickpea curry cooked with local spices (Chhole).
- Butter Chicken – Marinated chicken cooked in a buttery, rich, spicy tomato gravy.
- Lassi – A chilled drink made with whipped curd and water; made either sweet or salty. A great way to beat the heat, this is usually served with most major meals in the state.
Here is a list of some great restaurants to check out in the Jalandhar, and try the aforementioned dishes and a lot more:
- The Great Kabab Factory
- Tawa Parat
- Sagar Ratna
- Lucky Dhaba
- Radhe o Radhe
- Love Italy
- Food Bazaar
- Joe’s Bar & Restaurant
- Nik Baker’s
Jalandhar has many good hotels and resorts for a comfortable stay. Here are some of the best places to stay at in Jalandhar:
- Radisson Jalandhar
- Best Western Plus Jalandhar
- Ramada Encore by Wyndham
- The Maya Hotel
- Hotel President
- Treebo Trend Red Petal
- The Regent Park Hotel
- The Grand Lily Resorts
- Sarovar Portico
Jalandhar has various hangout spots for people looking for a lively nightlife scene or places to hangout in the late hours. Here are some great night clubs, bars and pubs to check out in Jalandhar:
- Hooterz The Pub
- F Bar
- Get Talli
- Greens Bar & Restaurant
- Mehfil Beer Bar & Restaurant
- Yunkee Tuns the Pub
- Cheers The Pub Bar & Restaurant
Jalandhar STD Code – 0181 (to be used before dialling numbers from a number that is not locally registered).
Common emergency numbers:
- Police – 100
- Women Helpline – 1091
- Traffic Helpline – 1073
- Ambulance – 108
- Fire emergency – 101
- Railway Enquiry – 139
Punjab is the most spoken language in Jalandhar.
- Hello - Sat sri akaal
- How are you? - Tussi kiwen ho?
- I am fine - Main theek haan
- What is your name? - Tuhada naan ki hai?
- My name is - Mera naan haga
- Where are you from? - Tusi kithe dey ho?