Kalyan is a city in the west Indian state of Maharashtra. It is a neighbour to Mumbai, one of the largest metropolitan cities in the country.
Some of the places to see in Kalyan are:
- Kala Talao Lake - One of the first and oldest community Lakes in Kalyan; built by Adil Shah of Bijapur. There is also a walking/jogging trail around it.
- Malanggad – An ancient hill fort located at about 789 m above the sea level.
- Durgadi Fort – A fort built by Chhatrapati Shivaji, a Maratha ruler who ruled the region in 17th century.
People in Kalyan celebrate most Maharashtrian and Hindu festivals, and also some other festivals like:
- Maha Shivratri (People worship Lord Shiva and fast for long hours)
- Makar Sankranti - an auspicious harvest festival celebrated in the month of January
- Ramzan – A Muslim festival, where a month of intermittent fasting is observed
- Gudi Padwa – Marathi New Year Day (celebrated all over Maharashtra state)
- Navrathri & Dussehra (A 10-day festival, where Goddess Durga is revered)
- Ganesh Chaturthi – A major festival in the state of Maharashtra, this is celebrated in all cites and town in this state, to worship Lord Ganesha (who is also the son of Lord Shiva)
- Christmas - A popular Christian festival commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ
Some of the best museums to visit in the city are:
- Bala Saheb Thackeray Memorial – The memorial of Bal Thackeray who was the founder of Shiv Sens, a major political party in the state of Maharashtra; the memorial has a museum as well, that showcases the history of the party and its founder.
Kalyan has a couple of good shops and markets where people can buy clothes, accessories and jewelry from streetside stalls and small shops set in market streets and malls. Here are some shopping spots to check out in Kalyan:
- Kolsewadi Market (for clothes, vegetables, fruits, flowers, fancy jewelry (inexpensive), and street foods)
- Fish Market – (for fresh sea foods ingredients like fish, prawns, crabs, and so on.)
Some of the best restaurants to eat at in Kalyan are:
- Hotel Gurudev Nx Restaurant
- Ramdev Pure Veg Restaurant
- Prasad Food Divine
- Heritage Restaurant
- FoodPath Restaurant
- Ming Yang
- Sky Dhaba
- Urban Tadka
Kalyan has many good hotels for a comfortable stay, such as:
- Hotel Monarch Boutique
- Hotel Kashish International
- VITS Kalyan Bhiwandi
- Stay Inn The Boutique Hotel
- Hotel Jawahar
- Hotel Lords
- Pallavi Lodge
- Krishna Palace Hotel
- Kalyan STD Code – 0251 (to be used before dialling numbers from a device that is not locally registered)
- Police helpline – 100
- Fire emergency – 101
- Accident helpline (Government ambulance) – 102/108
- Blood Bank – 1910
- Women Helpline - 1091
Marathi is the main language of kalyan.
- Welcome - Tumcha svagat aso
- How are you? - Tu kas ahes
- What's your name? - Tujha nav kay ahe
- Where are you from? - Apaṇ kothale ahat?
- Good morning - Su-prabhat
- Have a nice day - Sukhi raha