Karur is a city in the south Indian state of Tamil Nadu, and is located on the banks of River Amaravathi. It is the 15th most populous city in the state.
The city is known for being a textile export hub, as it has been exporting Home Textile products to USA and Europe for many years now.
Karur has many temples, some historical monuments and various lakes and dams. Some of the best places to see in the city are:
- Ponnaniyar Dam - A dam, which is also a picnic spot; located near Kadavoor hill region close to the city.
- Karur War Monument – a monument commemorating war heroes
- Pasupathieswarar Temple
- Sadasiva Brahmendra Samadhi
- Pugazhimalai Shree Aarupadai Murugan Temple
- Kalyana Venkattaramasami Temple
Many Tamil Hindu festivals are celebrated in Karun, as the city has a large population of Hindus and many Hindu temples. Some of these include:
- Aadi Perukku – A festival celebrated on the 18th day of the Tamil month of Aadi (mid-July to mid-August)
- Pongal – A harvest festival celebrated in the month of January
- Deepawali – The festival of lights (celebrated between Sep to Nov)
There are some good museums as well, in Karur such as:
- Karur Government Museum
- Karuvoor Chera Archaeological Site Museum
Karur has various shops and markets that sell lovely clothes, jewellery, home linens, bags, footwear, blankets and food items. Here are some good shopping spots in the city to check out:
- Kamaraj Market
- Jawahar Bazaar
- Covai Road
- DSP Complex
- Naveen Complex
Some of the best restaurants in Karur to try include:
- Dindigul Velu Biriyani (known for south Indian style Biryani)
- Shanmuga Mess (known for its non-vegetarian curries)
- Arulhothi Chettinad Hotel (for Chettinad cuisine)
- The Pavilion
- Hotel Arrunnachala
- Nalan Unavagam
Karur has quite a few good hotels and resorts for a comfortable stay. Here are some of the best places to stay at in Karur:
- Hotel Hemala
- The Residency Karur
- Hotel the Royal Grand
- Sri Murugan Residency
- South Indian Residency
- Arasi Disorderv
Karur also has many bars and pubs where people can spend time at or hangout during late hours. Some of the best ones include:
- Maurya Bar
- Samudhraa Bar
- Krishna Bar
- New Friends Bar
- Bottoms Up
- The Range
Karur city STD Code – 04324 (to be used before dialling numbers from a device that is not locally registered).
Common emergency numbers –
- Police control room – 100
- Accident Helpline (injuries, fatal accidents) – 108
- Fire and Rescue – 101
- Child Helpline – 1098
- Disaster helpline – 1077
- Sexual Harassment helpline - 1091
Tamil is the official language in Karur.
- What's your name? - Unga peranna?
- My name is - En peru
- Where are you from? - Nienga engirundhu varrienga?
- Congratulations! - Paaraattukkal
- Good night and sweet dreams! - Nalla thoungunga!
- What Is This? - Idhu enna?