Silvassa is a city and municipality in western part of India, in the union territory of Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu . It is also the largest city in this union territory.
The city is a large industrial centre as well, with many large companies having established their manufacturing units here. The large number of factories that exist in Silvassa provide government revenue that allows the city to maintain a low level of taxation.
Silvassa has various ecological, historic and religious attractions. Some of the top places to see in Silvassa are –
- Vanganga Lake
- Lion Safari Wildlife Park
- Tapovan Tourist Complex
- Dudhani – A beautiful picnic spot 45 km away
- Hirwa Van – Gardens
- Island Garden
- Our Lady of Piety Church
- Bindrabin Temple
- Shri Swaminarayan Temple
- Jalaram Temple
Major festivals celebrated in Silvassa include the following –
- Tarpa festival – A popular folk festival of Dadra & Nagar Haveli region of the union territory of Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu.
- Holi – The festival of colors (people throw colorful powders on each other).
- Navaratri – A 9-day festival where people worship goddess Durga in different ways, and perform various rituals, plays and dances. One of Gujarat’s most popular festivals – especially for its dances during this time.
- Dussehra – The 10th day after Navaratri, on which effigies of the ten-headed demon Raavana are burnt, to symbolize the destruction of evil.
- Christmas – A Christian festival, commemorating the birth of Jesus.
Silvassa has some good markets and shops selling handmade products, is the main market, Warli paintings, fancy paper bags, carved wooden smoking pipes, bamboo crafts, palm-leaf and so on. Here are the top market places in Silvassa -
- Kilvani Road
- Panchayat Market
- Empress Mall
- Manpasand SuperStore
Following is a list of some of best restaurants in Silvassa to try some local delicacies as well as other interesting foods and sumptuous meals –
- Red & Black Restaurant
- Valentino Restaurant
- Kobe Sizzlers
- Amantran Hotel
- Coffee Culture
- Monika Ice Cream Parlour
- Simply South
- Sai Bhojanalaya
Some of the best hotels and resorts in Silvassa for a comfortable stay include the following –
- Khanvel Resort (the most popular in Silvassa, surrounded by ecological beauty)
- VITS Kamats Resort
- Vas Resorts Silvassa
- Wonderland Resort
- Palette Pluz Resort
- Hotel Purohit Silvassa
- Hotel Suraj Inn (OYO)
Some good bars and pubs having good food, drinks and ambience in Silvassa include -
- Rock On Roof - The Lounge
- Surbhi Bar & Restaurant
- Sanjay Bar's Liquor Shop
- Hotel Jital Family Bar & Restaurant
- Silvassa STD Code: 0260 (to be used before dialling numbers from a device that is not locally registered)
- Fire & Rescue: 101
- Police: 100
- Ambulance: 102
- Women Helpline: 1091
- Senior Citizen Helpline: 1291
- Child Helpline: 1098
Gujarati is the official language in Silvassa but languages like English and Hindi are spoken as well.
- Welcome - svagat
- How are you? - Aap kaise hai?
- What's your name? - Aapka naam kya hai?
- I don't know - Mujhe nahi pata
- I don't understand - Mein samjha nahi
- Thank you - Dhanyavad
- Welcome - padhaaro
- How are you? - tame kem chho
- What's your name? - taru naam su chhe
- Where are you from? - tame kyaan na chho
- Goodbye - avjo
- Good night - shubh ratri