Some of the major festivals celebrated in Surat are:
- The Festival of Uttarayan – This is a Kite festival, celebrated during mid – January during the occasion of Makar Sankranti which is celebrated distinctly in different parts of India. The entire sky gets covered in traditionally crafted kites and kite-flying competitions are also organized.
- Holi – The festival of colors (people throw colorful powders on each other).
- Navaratri – A 9-day festival where people worship goddess Durga in different ways, and perform various rituals, plays and dances. One of Gujarat’s most popular festivals – especially for its dances during this time.
- Dussehra – the 10th day after Navaratri, on which effigies of the ten-headed demon Raavana are burnt, to symbolize the destruction of evil.
- Krishna Janmashtami – The birth anniversary of Lord Krishna.
- Diwali – Festival of lights, celebrated in October-November.