Alibag (or Alibaug) is a coastal town in the west Indian state of Maharashtra.
Alibag is a little town with various attractions that include ecological, architectural, religious and historical. The place also has some good beaches. Some of the popular attractions to check out here are:
- Kanakeshwar Forest – A forest which is great for trekking and exploring some wilderness, camping in some places, and various other possibilities
- Vrindavan Farm
- Alibag Beach
- Kashid Beach
- Akshi Beach
- Kihim Beach
If you are planning a trip to Alibag, do not forget to pay a visit to these below listed places :
- Kolaba Fort – An ancient fortified maritime base
- Murud-Janjira Fort – A popular tourist attraction; a fort situated on an island off the coast of Murud village; offer stunning views of both sunrise and sunset
- Undheri Fort
- Brahma Kund – A 17th century tank
- Kanakeshwar Temple
Following are the major festivals celebrated in Alibag:
- Pola – A rural festival of Alibag, where bull-worshipping is done by farmers; as a mark of respect for the bulls that help them plough their lands.
- Nag Panchami – A festival celebrated across India; where snakes are worshipped; and devotees offer milk and honey to snake gods.
- Diwali – The festival of lights; a Hindu festival celebrated all over India in the month of October or November.
- Holi – The festival of colours; a Hindu festival celebrated all over India in the month of March.
Alibag has a lovely shopping scene – with markets selling Kolhapuri chappals (a type of beautiful footwear made in Maharashtra), fancy jewelry, accessories, home décor, and so on. Here are some great shopping spots to check out in Alibag:
- Raigad Bazaar
- Bayside Curio Store
- Nostalgia Enterprises
- Bajar Peth Alibag
- Ezi Shopping Store
People in Alibag mostly eat foods belonging to Konkan or Malwani cuisines – these cuisines are known for their delicacies made of seafoods like prawns, crabs and fish, cooked with coconut milk, coconuts and local spices. Some of the best restaurants in Alibag to try the local as well as other popular delicacies are:
- Sanman Restaurant
- Vaibhav Retaurant
- Kiki Cafe
- Patil Khanawal (known for Seafood dishes)
- Bohemyan Blu Cafe
- Aparanta Restaurant
Some of the best hotels in Alibag for a comfortable stay include the following:
- The Blu Sky
- Dewdrop Retreat
- Acons Palm Beach – An Aparthotel
- Rachana Farm Varsoli Beach
- Hotel Maple Ivy
- Mazzo Reef Villas
- Alibag STD Code – 02141 (to be used before dialling numbers from a device that is not locally registered)
- Police Control room – 100
- Fire emergency – 101
- Accident helpline (Medical emergencies) – 108
- Crime Stopper – 1090
- Women Helpline - 1091
Marathi is the main language of Alibag.
- Welcome - Tumcha svagat aso
- How are you? - Tu kas ahes
- What's your name? - Tujha nav kay ahe
- Where are you from? - Apaṇ kothale ahat?
- Good morning - Su-prabhat
- Have a nice day - Sukhi raha