Aurangabad is a city in the west Indian state of Maharashtra . It is known for the famous Ajanta and Ellora caves – one of the most popular caves in India, and a famous UNESCO World heritage site.
Aurangabad is the fourth-most populous urban area in Maharashtra, and is a major production centre for cotton textiles and silk fabrics.
Aurangabad is an interesting city with a rich heritage and many historical, religious and other kinds of attractions. Here are some of the must-see places in Aurangabad:
- Gautala Autramghat – A wildlife Sanctuary
- Lonar Crater Lake
- Paithan Dam
If you are in Aurangabad, do not forget to pay a visit to these below listed places :
- Ajanta Caves – A set of around 30 rock-cut Buddhist cave monuments dating from the 2nd century BCE to 480 CE; and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Ellora Caves – Also a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and one of the largest rock-cut Hindu temple cave complexes in the world, having a few Buddhist and Jain cave temples as well.
- Daulatabad Fort – A historical fort.
- Pithalkora Caves
- Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga Temple
- Bhadra Maruti Temple – A temple dedicated to Hanuman – a monkey God, God of strength.
- Shani Shingnapur – A spiritual stone idol temple dedicated to the god Shani (or Saturn Lord).
Museums are the best places to know the history and culture of a city. Scroll down to know the best museums :
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Museum – A museum dedicated to the popular Chhatrapati Shivaji who ruled the land of Maharashtra for the longest time and established the culture of the land.
- Purwar Museum
- MGM APJ Abdul Kalam Centre & Club – An aerospace science center and museum, named after India’s former president and an established scientist, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam.
Aurangabad’s population consists of a majority of Maharashtrians and Hindus. So, most Hindu festivals and few others are celebrated grandly in this city. These include:
- Maha Shivratri – People worship Lord Shiva and fast for long hours.
- Makar Sankranti – An auspicious harvest festival celebrated in the month of January.
- Gudi padwa – Marathi New Year Day (celebrated all over Maharashtra state.
- Navrathri & Dussehra – A 10-day festival, where Goddess Durga is revered.
- Ganesh Chaturthi – A major festival in the state of Maharashtra, this is celebrated in all cites and town in this state, to worship Lord Ganesha (who is also the son of Lord Shiva).
- Ajanta and Ellora Festival – A popular festival exclusive to this city; dedicated to the famous Ajanta Ellora caves here, this festival involves art, dance, music and attracts tourists from all over the country.
Being a major production centre for cotton textiles and artistic silk fabric, Aurangabad offers good shopping opportunities too. The best places for shopping for clothes, fancy jewelry and accessories and trying out street foods etc. in Aurangabad include the following:
- Gul Mandi Market
- Mughal Silk Bazaar
- Himroo Fabrics’/ Himroo Factory (shawls, and other local fabrics like Mashru and Kimkhab)
- Nirula Bazaar
- Paithani Weaving Centre (for sarees, cloth materials etc)
- ProZone Mall Aurangabad
- City Center Mall
- Reliance Mall
Most people in Aurangabad follow Maharashtrian cuisine , which is the most popular here. Some popular local delicacies include:
- Thaalipeeth (a flatbread made with rice flour or millet flour and fenugreek leaves and onions)
- Misal Pav (a street snack of Pav bread served with a vegetable gravy and fried Sev)
- Sabudana Vada (Sago/tapioca pearl savory Fritters)
…and many more!
Here are some good restaurants in Aurangabad to check out and try the local delicacies as well as other popular foods and meals at:
- Tandoor Restaurant & Bar
- Bhoj Restaurant
- That Baat
- Madhuban Exclusive Garden Restaurant
- Green Leaf Restaurant (Vegetarian Cuisine)
- Citrus Cafe
- The Vegan veg Restaurant
Some of the best hotels in Aurangabad for a comfortable stay include the following:
- WelcomHotel by ITC Rama International
- Vivanta Aurangabad
- Ginger Aurangabad
- Lemon Tree Hotel Aurangabad
- The Fern Residency Aurangabad
- The Ambassador Ajanta
- VITS Hotel Aurangabad
- Treebo trend Bagga International
Aurangabad also has some good bars and pubs with good food, drinks and ambience, for people to out or entertain themselves during late hours. These include:
- KA Lounge
- 4 Seasons Pub, Nightclub & Bar
- Harry’s Bar
- Varad Restaurant & Beer Bar
- Priyanka Beer Bar (& Restaurant)
- Aurangabad STD Code – 0240 (to be used before dialling numbers from a device that is not locally registered)
- Police Control room – 100
- Fire emergency – 101
- Accident helpline (Medical emergencies) – 108
- Crime Stopper – 1090
- Women Helpline – 1091
Marathi is the main language of Aurangabad .
- Welcome - Tumcha svagat aso
- How are you? - Tu kas ahes
- What's your name? - Tujha nav kay ahe
- Where are you from? - Apaṇ kothale ahat?
- Good morning - Su-prabhat
- Have a nice day - Sukhi raha