Allahabad, officially known as Prayagraj, and also known as Ilahabad, is a city in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh (U.P). It is the administrative headquarters of the Allahabad district in U.P - the most populous district in the state and 13th most populous district in India—and the Allahabad division.
Allahabad has many interesting places of interest to check out. Here are the top attractions of Allahabad/Prayagraj city:
- Triveni Sangam – The confluence point of 3 major Indian rivers (Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswathi).
- Sumitranandan Pant Park– A Park with lots of greenery, walking tracks and play area for kids.
If you are planning a trip to Allahabad, do not forget to pay a visit to these below listed places :
- Khusro Bagh – One of the gardens built in the Mughal Era in India.
- Allahabad Fort – A fort built by Mughal emperor Akbar as he was impressed with the city and wanted to build something here. It also envelops a holy tree called Akshayavat.
- Anand Mahal
- All-Saints Cathedral
- Sree Mankameshwar Mandir (A Hindu temple)
Best museum to visit in the city is:
- Allahabad Museum – A historical museum that showcases the city’s rich heritage through a collection of antiques.
Allahabad is a city filled with culture, arts and heritage; and these have also resulted in a unique shopping scene in the city, with its markets selling ethnic clothes, jewelry and accessories and artefacts for home décor and so on. It is a great destination for people with artistic and ethnic tastes. Here are some of the best shopping spots in Allahabad:
- Katra market
- Chowk Bazaar
- Civil Lines of Allahabad
- Tulsiyani Plaza
- Vivekananda Marg
- M.G Marg
- Vinayak City Square Mall
- P Square Mall
Allahabad has many modes of public transport for local travel such as cabs, buses, auto-rickshaws etc.
The city still doesn’t have a local train system but a proposed rapid transit system called Allahabad Metro has been proposed and is under construction., The proposed system is said to consist of two lines, an east-to-west line (covering some areas from east of the city to west), and a north-south line.
Allahabad has a great food scene -with foods ranging from street delicacies to rich and flavorful meals. Here is a list of the must-try foods and the best restaurants and eateries in Allahabad:
- Netra Mulchand & Sons (for Kachori – a fried snack – stuffed with lentil curry or spicy fried onions and peas)
- Dewsis (Late night food)
- Raja Ram Lassi Wala (for Lassi – a drink made with yogurt/curd, water and spices – sweet or salty)
- Nirala (for Chaats – street food)
- El Chico (Bakery)
- The Tamarind Tree (Vegetarian)
- Hira Halwai (for sweets, especially Gulab Jamun)
- Sainik (for Chhole Samose and other spicy street foods)
- Hotel Kanha Shyam Restaurant (North Indian cuisine)
- Kamdhenu (Vegetarian)
Some of the best hotels in Allahabad for a comfortable stay include the following:
- Orchard One
- Hotel Kanha Shyam
- Grand Continental Hotel
- CENNET The Boutique Hotel
- Hotel Allahabad Regency
- Hotel Yatrik
- Hotel Rahi Triveni Darshan
- Hotel Shree Mahalaxmi
- Divine Palace
Allahabad also has a few good bars and pubs having good food, drinks and ambience, for people to out or entertain themselves during late hours:
- Hubble Bubble
- Fire at Night
- Glassy Junction
- Allahabad STD Code – 0532 (to be used before dialling numbers from a device that is not locally registered)
- Police – 100
- Fire emergency – 101
- Ambulance – 102, 108
- Child Helpline – 1098
- Women Helpline – 1090
Hindi is the most widely spoken language in Allahabad. But, languages like Urdu, Awadhi are spoken as well.
- Welcome - Svagat
- How are you? - Aap kaise hai?
- What's your name? - Aapka naam kya hai?
- I don't know - Mujhe nahi pata
- I don't understand - Mein samjha nahi
- Thank you - Dhanyavad
- Hello - Asalam u alaikum
- How are you? - Aap kaise hai?
- Goodbye - khuda hafiz
- How old are you? - Aap ki umr kya hai?
- Congratulations - Mubarak ho
- What is this? - Yeh kya hai?