Assam also has some incredible places of historical significance and architectural beauty, such as –
- Rang Ghar – An amphitheatre built in around 1746 AD; also known as Colosseum of the East. It is said to be one of the oldest surviving amphitheatres in Asia.
- Hajo Powa Mecca – A Muslim religious centre built during the reign of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan; the name means one-quarter of Mecca (people believe that they get here one-fourth of God’s grace that they would get in the main Mecca – in Saudi)
- Talatal Ghar – A historical Ahom monument that dates back to centuries, and has amazing architecture of Ahom dynasty (a late medieval kingdom that ruled centuries ago in the Brahmaputra valley in Assam).
- Surya Pahar – A historic site located about 12 km away from Goalpara district in Assam – this is said to have many secrets and an intriguing presence, with lot of ancient remains including more than 90,000 old Shiva lingas (idol that symbolizes Hindu Lord Shiva)! A must-visit for history and archaeology enthusiasts.
- Khaspur – An ancient city that has ruins of an old Kingdom that ruled the place (Dimasa kingdom)
- Charaideo – A place that contains burial grounds and tombs of kings and their queens of the Ahom dynasty.