Chidambaram is a town and a municipality in the south Indian state of Tamil Nadu . It lies in the Cuddalore district of the state, and is a small town that is tucked along the coast of the Bay of Bengal.
Chidambaram has various natural as well as religious and historical attractions.
- Pichavaram Mangrove Forest
- Pichavaram Backwater
- Thillai Nataraja Temple
- Thillai Kali Amman Temple
- Chathapurinathar Temple
- Tirunallurpperumanam Temple
- Tirunelvayil Temple
- Tiruvetkalam Temple
- Annamalai University (an ancient university)
The major festivals celebrated in Chidambaram are –
- Pongal – A harvest festival celebrated in the month of January.
- Varsha Pirappu (or Tamil New Year’s Day) – Beginning of a new year according to Tamil Calendar; this is celebrated in April.
- Vaikunta Ekadasi Festival – An auspicious festival where people hold fasts, meditation and prayers which are believed to lead to purity of heart and make them a place in heaven (Vaikunta).
- Aadi Perukku – A festival celebrated on the 18th day of the Tamil month of Aadi (mid-July to mid-August).
- Navratri and Dussehra – A 10-day Hindu festival, where Goddess Durga is worshipped – Navaratri is the first 9 days and the 10th day is Dussehra.
- Deepavali –The festival of Lights; India’s most popular and widely celebrated festival.
Chidambaram is mostly a pilgrimage center and is not too well-known for its shopping scene. But if you’d like to indulge in some retail therapy, the best things to buy here are idols of gold or jewelry or traditional wear and various accessories from shops within temple complexes. Some of the best shopping spots to check out in Chidambaram are -
- Old Noothanam
- Mayura Shopping Mall
- Ganapathy Shopping Centre
- Temple shops
- King Star Super Mall
Following is a list of some of best restaurants in Chidambaram to try the local delicacies as well as other interesting foods and sumptuous meals –
- Krishna Vilas
- Arupadai Unavagam
- Ramesh High Class Vegetarian Restaurant
- Goru Garden
- Southern Spice Restaurant
- Ponnusamy Hotel
- Richy Rich
- Anupallavi Multicuisine Restaurant
Some good hotels in Chidambaram for a comfortable stay include the following –
- The Grand Park Hotel
- Krish Garden
- RK Residency
- Hotel Saradharam
- Arudhra Residency
- Hotel Akshaya
Chidambaram also has a few good bars and pubs having good food, drinks and ambience, for people to hang out or entertain themselves during late hours. These include –
- Nattiaya Bar
- Rock Studio Bar
- Peg N Mug Bar
Chidambaram city STD Code – 04144 (to be used before dialling numbers from a device that is not locally registered).
Common emergency numbers –
- Police control room – 100
- Sexual Harassment/Women helpline – 1091
- Accident Helpline (injuries, fatal accidents) – 108
- Child Helpline – 1098
- Fire and Rescue – 101
Tamil is the official language of Chidambaram.
- What's your name? - Unga peranna?
- My name is - En peru
- Where are you from? - Nienga engirundhu varrienga?
- Congratulations! - Paaraattukkal
- Good night and sweet dreams! - Nalla thoungunga!
- What Is This? - Idhu enna?