Gangotri is a town in the north Indian state of Uttarakhand. It is a Hindu pilgrim town situated on the banks of the river Bhagirathi which is the origin point of river Ganges. And is located on the Greater Himalayan Ranges, at a height of 3,100 metres.
Following are some places of interest to see in Gangotri:
- Bhojbasa – A picturesque spot situated on the mountainous terrains near Gangotri, and sitting at an altitude of 3,775 m above sea level; can be reached by hiking, or trekking too.
- Gangotri Glacier – A lovely natural glacier originating in Gangotri.
- Harsil – A scenic and popular spot on the lap of the Himalayas; with flowing water and natural beauty.
- Gangotri Temple – An important temple in the town; situated about 3100 m above sea level.
- Surya Kund Gangotri – A revered pilgrimage spot and water body.
- Jalmagna Shivling – A popular Shiva Linga (a sacred stone idol representing the Hindu Lord Shiva) in Gangotri; which is immersed in the river during one part of the year.
The popular festivals celebrated in Gangotri include the following:
- Badri Kedar Festival – This is a Hindu temple festival, jointly celebrated here with the neighboring town of Kedarnath.
- Maha Shivratri – People worship Lord Shiva and fast for long hours.
- Makar Sankranti – an auspicious harvest festival celebrated in the month of January.
- Holi – Festival of colours; celebrated in the month of March.
- Dussehra – A 10-day festival, where people worship goddess Durga.
- Krishna Janmashtami – The birth anniversary of Lord Krishna.
- Diwali – festival of lights.
North Indian cuisines are predominant in Gangotri’s food scene – particularly whole wheat flatbreads (Roti, Parathas) and Lentils and vegetable curries. Some good places to eat in Gangotri are:
Some good hotels in Gangotri for a comfortable stay are:
- Prakriti – The Retreat
- Hotel Leela Palace
- Shanti Kunjh
Gangotri city STD Code – 013772 (to be used before dialling numbers from a number that is not locally registered).
Common emergency numbers:
- Police –100
- Fire – 101
- Ambulance – 102
- Women Helpline – 1090
- AIDS Helpline – 1097
- Child Helpline – 1098
Hindi is the official language of Gangotri.
- Welcome - Svagat
- How are you? - Aap kaise hai?
- What's your name? - Aapka naam kya hai?
- I don't know - Mujhe nahi pata
- I don't understand - Mein samjha nahi
- Thank you - Dhanyavad