The popular festivals celebrated in Gangotri include the following:
- Badri Kedar Festival – This is a Hindu temple festival, jointly celebrated here with the neighboring town of Kedarnath.
- Maha Shivratri – People worship Lord Shiva and fast for long hours.
- Makar Sankranti – an auspicious harvest festival celebrated in the month of January.
- Holi – Festival of colours; celebrated in the month of March.
- Dussehra – A 10-day festival, where people worship goddess Durga.
- Krishna Janmashtami – The birth anniversary of Lord Krishna.
- Diwali – festival of lights.