Madhya Pradesh’s cuisine includes a variety of vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian dishes. The primary grains consumed in the state are wheat, maize and jowar (sorghum).
MP’s cuisine included a variety of kebabs and other non-vegetarian dishes especially in Bhopal – which is sometimes considered a meat-lovers’ paradise in India.
Some popular lip-smacking dishes that belong to MP’s cuisine include:
- Seekh Kebab (a “Kebab” made of minced lamb, mint, curry paste, green chilies, and other spices)
- Keema Pulav (A rice dish made with minced meat and vegetables)
- Daal Bafla (Wheat balls baked or cooked in clarified butter and served with a bowl of lentil stew)
- Bhopali Ghosht Kurma (a stewy curry made with mutton, and a delicious combination of local spices)
- Mawa Baati (balls of mawa/milk solids mixed with dry fruits deep fried in ghee/oil and soaked in sugar syrup) – Also known more popularly as “Gulaab Jamun”, this is a dish that defines not just MP’s dessert palate, but is popular throughout India and abroad too!