Madikeri is a hill station town in Madikeri taluk in Kodagu district, Karnataka state, India. It is bordered by the Western Ghats Mountain ranges.
The place is surrounded by coffee and spice plantations, and is full of greenery everywhere. Many people love visiting this place for a small getaway or a relaxed vacation from time to time.
Madikeri has many amazing waterfalls and ecological attractions, that include:
- Abbey Falls
- Chelavara Falls
- Chingara Falls
- Cauvery Nisargadhama
- Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary
- Iruppu Falls
Popular historical places are:
- Raja’s Seat - a simple monument that overlooks forests and rice paddies, gives a beautiful view and is a great place to get the city’s aerial view and some breeze.
- Omkareshwara Temple – An ancient Hindu temple, vsited by most tourists here.
- Madikeri Fort – a 17th-century Fort having 2 stone elephants at the entrance.
- Talacauvery (the origin point of the mighty Cauvery River; also has a temple, and is visited by hundreds of people each day)
- Golden Temple
- Bhagamandala – A pilgrimage place for Hindus
Madikeri has 2 good museums , that showcase its history in a beautiful way.
- Government Museum, Madikeri
- General Thimmaiah Museum (inaugurated by the president of India, in 2021)
Madikeri’s most celebrated festivals are:
- Nag Panchami (where snakes are worshipped and offered milk; a tribute to Snake deity/God)
- Holi (the festival of colours)
- Navrathri (a 10-day Hindu festival, where Goddess Durga is worshipped)
Madikeri has some good markets and shopping spots from where people can buy souvenirs that are popular here, such as – coffee, handmade chocolates, spices, freshly extracted honey, silk clothes, and Tibetan handicrafts. Some popular shopping spots in the city are:
- Kushal Nagar
- Flea Market
- Friday Market
The Kodava cuisine is predominant in Madikeri. In this cuisine, the staple grain is rice, and the popular dishes include:
- Boiled (white/red) rice
- Rice gruel
- Curry made with pork and local spices
- Payasam (a Milk sweet porridge)
- Paputtu (steamed rice cake)
- Noolputtu (rice noodles) served with a spicy/sweet stew
Coffee is also very famous in Madikeri – and is a must try at the local cafes, which brew their own fresh coffee.
Some of the best restaurants and eateries in Madikeri where these dishes and a lot more can be tried are:
- Coffee Blossoms
- Tiger Tiger (Ethnic Kodava Cuisine)
Madikeri has many good hotels and resorts for a comfortable stay. Here are some of the most recommended ones:
- Royal Woods
- Ananya Greens
- Woodstock resorts
- Copperhill Villa
- Club Mahindra Madikeri Resort
- FabHotel Prestige Residency
- Cornwall Bed & Breakfast
Madikeri STD Code – 08272 (to be used before dialling numbers from a number that is not locally registered).
Common emergency numbers:
- Police Control Room: 100
- Fire and Rescue: 101
- Medical helpline: 104
- Ambulance helpline: 108
- Child helpline: 1098
- Women helpline: 1091
Kannada is the most spoken language in Madikeri. But, languages like Kodava, Arebhashe are spoken as well.
- Hello - namaskra
- How are you? - athava kshemana?
- Welcome - susvgata
- What's your name? - nimma hesarenu?
- My name is - nanna hesaru
- Good morning - shubhodaya