Some popular festivals celebrated in Rameshwaram are:
- Maha Shivarathri – A Hindu festival where people worship Lord Shiva and fast for long hours.
- Rama Navami – A Hindu spring festival that celebrates the birth anniversary of Lord Rama (the seventh avatar of Lord Vishnu – the saviour).
- Thirukalyanam – A festival celebrated for seventeen days and is one of the longest festivals in Tamil Nadu, usually celebrated at the Ramanathaswamy Temple in Rameswaram; It celebrates the marriage of the Lord Ramanatha with Goddess Parvatavardhini.
- Pongal – A harvest festival celebrated in January.
- Deepawali – Festival of lights, celebrated in October or November.