Shivamogga, also known as Shimoga, is a city in the south-west Indian state of Karnataka.
Shivamogga has various places of interest to check out, such as:
- Kodachadri – A peak in Western Ghats which is filled with beautiful of flora and fauna
- Jog Falls – A majestic waterfall; also, the 11th highest waterfall in India
- Honnemarad – A site set in the middle of a valley; also consists of a reservoir, and makes for a great picnic or short getaways
- Tyavare Koppa Lion & Tiger Safari – A wildlife sanctuary
- Sakrebailu Elephant Camp – Another wildlife center - an elephant grooming and training site
- Tunga Anicut Dam
- Gajanur Dam
- Kundadri – A lovely trekking spot
- Barkana Falls
- Onake Abbi Falls
- Gandhi Park
- Dabbe Falls – Another picturesque waterfall
- Gudavi Bird Sanctuary – Yet another wildlife center, with a significant number of bird species
- Kunchikal Falls
- Linganamakki Dam
- Shivaganga Falls
Popular historical places are:
- Keladi – A historically significant spot, having a temple (Rameshwara Temple) and a museum (Keladi Museum)
- Kanoor Fort
- Sacred Heart Church
- Nagara Fort
- Singandur Chowdeshwari Temple
- Koodli – A holy place/temple; also known as the Varanasi of South India
Some of the best museums to visit in the city are:
- Shivappa Nayaka Palace Museum
- Museum of Human Anatomy, SIMS
The major festivals celebrated in Shivamogga are:
- Naga Panchami – Where snakes are worshipped and offered milk; a tribute to Snake deity/God.
- MahaShivaratri – A festival dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Christmas – Most Christians and Hindus also celebrate this famous festival here.
- Ganesh Chaturthi – A major festival in the state of Maharashtra, this is celebrated in all cites and town in this state, to worship Lord Ganesha (who is also the son of Lord Shiva).
- Navratri – A 10-day Hindu festival, where Goddess Durga is worshipped.
- Deepavali – The festival of Lights; India’s most popular and widely celebrated festival.
Shivamogga is known for handicraft items like sandalwood artefacts and products, and various other things like traditional clothes, jewellery, local spices, articles made of bamboo, sarees with Kasuti work (a type of craftwork), wooden items, rosewood carved artefacts, durries and so on. Some of the best shopping spots in the city to check out are:
- Nehru Road
- Gandhi Bazaar
- BH Road
- Mantri Mall
- Bearys City Centre
Some of the best restaurants to eat at in Shivamogga are as listed:
- Tiger Trail
- Rice Bowl Restaurant
- Hotel Shubham
- Hotel Samrat Ashok
- Anmol The Family Cuisine
- ISIRI Multi Cuisine Restaurant
- Hotel Nalanda
- Kanauj Restaurant
- Meenakshi Bhavan
- Cafe Culture
Shivamogga has many good hotels and resorts for a comfortable stay. Here are some of the most recommended ones:
- Harsha The Fern
- Green View Clarks Inn
- Kimmane Golf Resort
- River View Farm Stay
- Hotel Ashoka Grand
- Cliff Embassy Banquet and Suites
- Hotel Jai Mata Grandeur
- Sri Mahalakshmi Lodge & Hotel
- Lakshmi Palace
Shivamogga also has some good pubs and bars which make for good hangout spots in the late hours, for people who like; such as:
- Shilpa Bar & Restaurant
- Mourya Bar & Restaurant
- Mandovi Bar & Family Restaurant
- The Mix Bar
- Navaratna Bar & Restaurant
Shivamogga STD Code – 08182 (to be used before dialling numbers from a number that is not locally registered).
Common emergency numbers:
- Police Control Room: 100
- Fire and Rescue: 101
- Medical helpline: 104
- Ambulance helpline: 108
- Child helpline: 1098
- Women helpline: 1091
Kannada is the official language of Shivamogga.
- Hello - Namaskra
- How are you? - Athava kshemana?
- Welcome - Susvgata
- What's your name? - Nimma hesarenu?
- My name is - Nanna hesaru
- Good morning - Shubhodaya