- Type: Curry and bread
- Course: Street Food Snack/Breakfast
- Place of Origin: India
- Region or State: Maharashtra
- Main Ingredients: Moth beans sprouts, peas, chickpeas, spices, pav bread
Misal Pav is a famous Maharashtrian Street food that can be a delight to your taste buds and also satisfy your appetite for food. Almost a 100-year-old street food, Misal Pav is a health-giving food with a fusion of hot to tangy flavors. Served hot with the topping of farsan, chopped onions, and lemon juice along with pav, Misal Pav is a street food that is the best evening snack, especially during the winter season. Made with healthy green moong sprouts and moth beans sprouts with spices and tamarind chutney to give it a tangy flavor with the final topping of farsan and chopped onions and served hot with Pav is what you call a street food with the blast of flavors.
There are different varieties of Misal Pav such as Misal Pav from Kolhapur which is famous for its particular flavor and rich spicy taste, Pune Misal, Nashik Misal, Khandeshi Misal, and Ahmednagar Misal. There are some other variants also which were adapted by adding new recipes like Shev Misal, Kalyamasalyachimisal, and Dahi Misal.
Making of Misal Pav
Moth beans, green moong, spices, pav
- Take 100 g of green moong and 100 g of Moth beans (matki) and soak them in two separate bowls to make it sprout
- In a Pan heat 3-4 tbsp of Oil and add 1 tsp of mustard seeds, ¼ tsp of asafoetida, 7-8 curry leaves, 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste, and 2 chopped onions and sauté it well.
- Now add ½ turmeric powder, 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder, and 1 tsp goda masala and sauté
- Now add sprouted green moong and matki and sauté it well then add water and cook it for a while until the sprouts become soft
- Then add salt to taste and lower the flame and cook for 10-15 mins.
- Add ½ tsp of Garam Masala and coriander leaves and mix it then turn off the flame and add tamarind chutney.
- Misal is ready, add some chopped onions and farsan as the topping on Misal and serve it hot with Pav.
- You can also enjoy it with chapatis or rice
One plate of Misal Pavserves 379 calories. Out of which carbohydrates consist of 155 calories, proteins account for 50 calories and the rest calories come from fat which is 175 calories. One plate of Vada Pav provides about 19% of the total daily calorie required for a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Misal Pav is a street food with a perfect fusion of flavor and taste, made with green moong sprouts and moth beans sprouts with spices and tamarind chutney to give it a tangy flavor with the final topping of farsan and chopped onions and served hot with Pav is also a healthy food to have during breakfast or evening snack.
Related Food Items
Pav Bhaji is a luscious and flavourful street food that is very common in Maharashtra. Made with boiled, mashed, and cooked... READ MORE
A popular and widely devouredstreet food, Poha is a mouthwatering and tummy-filling breakfast which is mainly derived from... READ MORE