The major festivals celebrated in Agra include the following:
- Taj Mahotsav – A 10-day long festival celebrating the Taj Mahal monument that takes place from 18th - 27th February; includes dances plays and merriment. Ghazals (songs) and Mushaira (poetry) performances take place during this time, and add charm to the celebration.
- Kailash Fair & Festival – A festival dedicated to Lord Shiva, and taking place in August each year at Kailash temple that is 2km away from Agra city’s center.
- Navratri and Dussehra – A 10-day festival dedicated to Goddess Durga, celebrating the killing of Demon Mahishasura by her.
- Ram Baraat – A Hindu festival, celebrating the wedding of Lord Ram and Sita. This takes place just before Navaratri and Dussehra.
- Ramzan – A Muslim festival where people observe intermittent fasts and perform regular prayers for a month.
- Diwali – The festival of lights; celebrated in October-November.