Agra is a city with a rich history. It was a capital of the Mughal empire for many years, and consists of various Mughal monuments, gardens and other historically significant places. Here are some of the best places to see in Agra:
- Taj Mahal –The most popular monument t in Agra; a mausoleum built by fifth Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan for his wife Mumtaz Mahal, as a mark of his love for her.
- Agra Fort – A red sandstone fort that served as emperor Akbar’s home during his reign; was also declared a UNESCO World heritage site. (also has many beautiful gardens, including Anguri Bagh – which are sprawling with greenery and still well maintained).
- Akbar's Tomb – A mausoleum to the third Mughal Emperor - Akbar, built in red sandstone, much like most other monuments in Agra.
- Sikandra Fort – A fort that houses Emperor Akbar’s tomb; Intricate white marble designs adorn the panels on the gates to the fort; however, the real tomb of Akbar is in a small underground room that has a very transcendent feel to it.
- Moti Masjid – A mosque built by fifth Mughal emperor Shah Jahan; (its name translates to “Pearl Mosque).
- Jodha Bai ka Rauza – The Palace of Emperor Akbar’s (Hindu) queen, Jodha Bai.
- Gurudwara Guru ka Taal – A sikh temple.
- Jama Masjid – A Mosque; One of the largest mosques in India.