These are some places in Assam which are great for a short getaway during weekends or small holidays, to spend some peaceful time and do fun and interesting things –
- Tezpur - Some places to check out in this town include: Agnigarh, Bamuni Hills, Bura-Chapori Wildlife Sanctuary, Chitralekha Udyan, District Museum, Ouguri Hill, Kalia Bhomora Setu and Nag-Sankar Temple)
- Kaziranga National Park – A large and popular national park known for housing India’s largest population of one-horn Rhinoceros; and also, tigers, elephants and water buffaloes. Great for a peaceful getaway and spend time among wilderness and wildlife.
- Haflong – A stunning place with beautiful landscapes and lakes; great for camping and nature lovers.
- Jorhat – For experiencing the most colourful scenes of Assamese culture and tribes, and some deep history of the people and the state through museums and historical buildings. Great for people looking to do something more than relaxing or spending quiet time.
- Nalbari – A place with lots of greenery (paddy fields, forests) and ancient temples; situated less than 45 kms from capital city Guwahati.
- Other national parks mentioned in attractions (Orang, Manas, Nameri) also make for a great weekend getaway destination.