Commercial street is a shopping street inÂ the city of Bengaluru, the capital ofÂ the south Indian state of Karnataka .
It is one of the most popular, oldest and busiest shopping areas in the city.
Commercial Street got its name from London where there was a popular shopping street at the time called Commercial Street. In those days, it is said that the market street wasÂ closedÂ for the general public on Sundays, and was open exclusively to British officers and their families to shop peacefully.
British officers apparently used to come shopping here on horseback, and the remaining general public could come only by walk.In 1916, cars and other vehicles started being allowed inside the market.
Bengaluruâ€™s Commercial Street has various shops and outlets that sell trendy as well as traditional clothes, footwear, jewellery, electronics and other accessories, and also has many food joints and cafes which provide refreshments and meals.
The place had a limited space for vehicle parking (only 75 parking slots) which was never enough for the number of shoppers visiting the place, and so the market streets mostly remain closed for vehicles, and only allow pedestrians.
Even if you treated your eyes with the extravagant beauty that the tech-city of Bangalore offers through its architectural marvels, gardens, and natural bounties, a trip here wouldnâ€™t be completed if you do not visit the iconic Commercial Street. The Central Business District of Bangalore, the Commercial Street is a therapy for the shopaholics and others alike with its lively bustle all around and the availability of numerous things. From traditional accessories to cosmetics, to spices and clothing, footwear, and bags, you name it, and everything will be at your visionâ€™s reach. When you are tired of bargaining and navigating the crazy streets filled with people, head to the eateries to feed your hungry soul. Some of the best shops in Commercial Street and the items available there are listed below.
- Bangles and accessories store â€“ Several stores selling traditional jewelry such as bangles, and gold- and silver-plated ornaments line the Commercial Street which you can buy to slay that perfect ethnic look.
- Mahavar Mall and High Street Mall â€“ These small malls house stores selling cosmetic range for men and women from body lotions, perfumes, shampoos, and all the makeup products and accessories, which are all a womenâ€™s delight.
- LB Prakash and V R Plaza â€“ If you have a wedding function to attend or are the bride yourself, head to LB Prakash store for a collection of embroidered bridals and other lehengas, blouses, gowns, and fabrics for kurtas. VR Plaza is also ideal if you want something more blingy and fashionable like a red-carpet look.
- Star Ethic Footwear and Gollar Laneâ€“ Complete your ethnic look with the beautiful kolhapurijootis and chappals and other varieties of footwear in the Star Ethnic Footwear. Gollar Lane has stylish traditional patterned and new design bags as well.
- Vashiâ€™s House of Jeansâ€“ Shop from a variety of denim and get ready to be spoilt with options to chose from when it comes to fit, flare, color, and look.
- Mecca Lifestyle â€“ After shopping for yourself, its time to decorate your house as well. Get swooned with the collection of crafted and colorful lanterns, mugs, long-necked jugs, stylish dinner and tea sets, cutlery, etc., which come in vibrant hues and designs.
- Naughtee Garment Store â€“ Want to make a statement at the party? Naughtee Garment Store is the destination for you which has a range of sequined and satin gowns, tops, sarees, and dresses in all latest designs.
- Asiatic Arts and Crafts â€“ Some more options for your house, here you can find wall hangings, rustic bells, handcrafted key chains, and ancient looking clocks that will give your house an aesthetic appeal. Religious sculptures and paintings are also available here.
- Jewelerâ€™s Steet â€“ Suggestive to the name, the street is a houseful of shops selling stunning gold, silver, and oxidized jewelry in both traditional and contemporary fashion. If you wish, services for ears, nose, and even belly piercing is also available.
- Ibrahim Saheb Street and Rumana Collectionâ€“ For a vibrant and beautiful collection of salwar kameez, sarees, and fabrics at reasonable prices, head to Ibrahim Saheb Street.Rumana Store has a beautiful collection of dupattas in all sorts of fabric, and you can even get your dupatta customized in all sorts of fabrics.
How to Reach
Commercial Street can be reached by road (auto-rickshaw, cabs or buses) or by Bengaluruâ€™s Namma metro (local train transit system) based on the distance and availability of these.
Private vehicles are usually not preferred as there is no parking space for the market, but some nearby parking places can be used in some cases.
With a dazzling display of stores selling all the stuff enough to make a shopaholic go to frenzy, the Commercial Street in Bangalore is a shopperâ€™s delight with a hoard of shops and stalls to quench your shopaholic soul.