Bihar has a rich heritage that is thousands of years old. Its ancient history is deep rooted into every part of the state in the form of temples, museums, forts, etc. along with its lakes, national parks and so on.
Some places worth visiting in Bihar are:
- Nalanda University – This is said to be one of the oldest residential universities ever established in the world. It was built in 5th century AD. It is said that Gautam Buddha himself was a teacher here. The building has a beautiful architecture with an ancient but well-maintained look.
- Bodhi Tree – An ancient banyan tree under which Gautam Buddha used to meditate.
- Griddhakuta Peak
- Gaya and Bodhgaya (Well-known pilgrimage centers for Buddhists)
- Hot springs of Rajgir – Natural hot springs flowing from caves; situated under the Vaibhava Hills near the city of Rajgir.
- Munger – An ancient city lying on the holy River Ganges, having a glorious history. A must-visit for history enthusiasts.