Government Museum and Art Gallery is situated in Chandigarh . It is a premier museum of North India. It has collections of Gandharan sculptures, Pahari and Rajasthani miniature paintings.
This art gallery owes its existence to the partition of India in August, 1947. After the partition, the collections of art objects, paintings and sculptures were accommodated in the Central Museum, Lahore, the then capital of Punjab.
After partition, the division of collections took place on April 10, 1948. Sixty percent of objects were kept by Pakistan and forty percent collection fell in the share of India.
The museum was established on 6 May in the year 1968 .