Chandigarh is a city, district and union territory in India. The city serves as the capital of two neighbouring states of Punjab and Haryana .
Chandigarh is one the cleanest city in India as per the government study. It is known for its architecture and urban design.
Chandigarh is a land of multilingual people. Punjabi is the most spoken language but Haryanvi and Hindi are also common here. Besides these, English is also spoken and understood well by most people.
The cuisine in Chandigarh is not just popular among Indians but is also loved by people outside India. Chandigarh’s cuisine mainly consists of flatbreads like Chapatis, stuffed Parathas and Naan, along with side-dishes of curries made with meat, vegetables, butter and gravy.
Some of the popular dishes are:
- Makki di Roti (Maize flour flatbread)
- Sarson ka Saag (A dish made with mustard greens)
- Dal Makhani(A buttery black lentil dish)
- Kadhi (a thick, soupy dish made of chickpea flour and yogurt along with mild spices)
- Punjabi Chhole(A dish of chickpeas cooked with lots of spices, in a tomato onion base/gravy)
- Stuffed Punjabi Parantha (Unleavened wheat flatbreads stuffed with vegetables or minced meat)
- Butter Chicken(a well-known dish, made with chicken in a rich, spicy and buttery gravy)
- Punjabi Lachha Paratha (A spirally layered flatbread with lots of ghee)
- Chicken Tikkas (Marinated and smoked/cooked chicken)
The city is known for its beautiful attractions. Some of them are:
- Rose Garden
- Rock Garden
- Sukhna Lake
- Pinjore Gardens
- Government Museum and Art Gallery
- Shanti Kunj
Chandigarh is one of the most cleanest and beautiful cities in India and there are lots of activities to enjoy here. Some of them are Boating At Sukhna Lake, Golfing, Lion Safari At Chhatbir Zoo, Timber Trail etc.
Planning a short vacation in Chandigarh during the weekends is very easy as the proximity of the city to Himachal Pradesh, Delhi and Uttarakhand makes it possible to take a vacation. Some of the places that can be explored easily during the weekends are - Parwanoo, Kasauli, Solan, Nahan, Chail, Shimla, Naldehra, Narkanda etc.
Some of the best hotels in Chandigarh where you can relax and feel comfortable are:
- Holiday Inn
- Velvet Clarks Exotica
- Country Inn & Suites By Radisson
- Park Plaza
- 5) Hometel
Some of the best restaurants
in Chandigarh where you can enjoy food and with yours loved ones are:
- Backpacker’s Cafe
- Pal Dhaba
- Brooklyn Central
- Indian Coffee House
- The Willow Cafe
HOW TO REACH
Chandigarh is easily accessible from anywhere in the country via flight, train and bus.
The city is served by an international airport (Chandigarh International Airport) as well as well-planned rail (Chandigarh Junction Railway Station) and road network (highways and expressways), using which travellers can enter the city very easily.
All the festivals in Chandigarh are celebrated with the pure feeling of love & happiness & it is a way to bring people closer. Some of the festivals that are celebrated are:
- Baisakhi Festival (On this day, people wear new clothes & distribute the sweets all over their families, friends & relatives)
- Chandigarh Mango Festival (The festival is celebrated for two days to encourage the farmers to adopt the latest technology & to increase their mango production & quality)
- Chandigarh Carnival (On this day, a number of cultural events are organized like dancing, singing both folk & cultural events)
- Chandigarh Plaza Carnival (The carnival is hosted by the private groups to encourage local artists to showcase their talent)
Apart from famous places to visit in Chandigarh, the place also has a number of museums that includes:
- Chandigarh Architecture Museum (The Museum was established in 1997 that displays the architectural advancements and planning that led to the transformation of Chandigarh which we see it now)
- National History Museum (Specially dedicated to flora and fauna that existed in early times and still exist)
- Museum Of Evolution Of Life
- Le Corbusier Centre (The museum was built as a tribute to the architect Le Corbusier)
- National Gallery Of Portraits
Chandigarh is the first urban planned city of India, which is also recognized as the shopping hub of the country. From Luxury clothing brands to affordable, the city has it all. Take a look at the list of locations that one would like to explore:
- Furniture Market (Known for wooden tables, garden furniture, wooden artifacts, pottery items and many more)
- Palika Bazaar (Known for Clothing, footwear, gifts, accessories, food products and cosmetics)
- Shastri Market
- Patel Market Famous for trending handbags, clothing items, footwear, accessories and other products)
- Punjab Government Emporium (Known for traditional Punjabi clothing)
Shopping is the best indulgence and therapy and it becomes even more satisfying when there are lots of discounts and fair deals. Listed below are some of the famous malls:
- Elante Mall (One of the most visited and admired shopping mall)
- DLF City Centre Mall (Famous for discounts offered throughout the year)
- TDI Mall
- Piccadily Square Mall
- City Emporium Mall
With a plethora of dining, clubbing and entertainment options, these below listed places in Chandigarh at night will never disappoint the party animal in you.
- FLYP@MTV (Famous for its funky interiors, hospitable staff and delicious food)
- The Great Bear (Serves Shawarma, Falafel, Mocktails, Chicago Pizza, and Wheat Bear and many more)
- Hops N Grains
- Wild West Pub And Bar
- Lava Bar
- Police : 100, 2749194
- Ambulance : 102, 2782457
- Fire Brigade : 101, 2702333
- Women Helpline : 1091, 0172-2741174
- Welcome - svagat
- How are you? - Aap kaise hai?
- What's your name? - Aapka naam kya hai?
- I don't know - Mujhe nahi pata
- I don't understand - Mein samjha nahi
- Thank you - Dhanyavad
- Where are you going? - Tū kit javæ sæ?
- What are you doing? - Tū ke karæ sæ?
- What is your name? - Ke nām sæ terā?
- Where are you from? - Kit kā sæ tū?
- How are you? - Ke Gyān sæ?
- I don't know - Mannæ konī