The major festivals celebrated in Dhanbad are -
- Holi – the festival of colours; celebrated in March month.
- Chhath Puja
- Basant Panchami– festival marking the beginning of Spring season in northern India.
- Ramanavami–festival marking the birth anniversary of Lord Ram (an incarnation of Lord Vishnu, the creator).
- Navaratri (meaning 9 nights) and Dussehra (10th day) – a 10-day festival dedicated to Goddess Durga, on her triumphant killing of the demon Mahishasura.
- Diwali – A Hindu festival; festival of lights – celebrated in October/November each year, with people lighting hundreds of lamps, bursting crackers and distributing sweets, and getting dressed up in traditional wear and performing religious rituals (worshipping the Goddess of wealth Lakshmi).