The major festivals celebrated in Guwahati include –
- Holi – Festival of colors, celebrated in March.
- Bihu – This is an important harvest/folk festival celebrated all over Assam state; there are 3 forms of Bihu namely –
- Bohag/Rongali Bihu (celebrated in April to mark the beginning of the Assamese new year and welcome spring season)
- Kati/Kongali Bihu (celebrated in mid-October to mark the maturing of paddy crops)
- Magh/Bhogali Bihu (celebrated to mark the successful harvesting of crops)
- Brahmaputra Beach Festival – An annual fair/festival that honours the Brahmaputra River during the spring season; and is held along its shores. It is a three-day event that includes various cultural events, dancing, display of crafts, and some water sports too!
- Durga Puja and Navratri – Celebrated in Honor of Goddess Durga killing the demon Mahishasur; celebrated in October.
- Diwali – Festival of Lights; Celebrated in October-November; honoring Lakshmi, the Goddess of wealth.