Most Hindu and Buddhist festivals are celebrated in Gaya; some major ones include the following:
- Chhath puja – The main festival of Bihari Hindus.
- Makar Sankranti – A harvest festival, celebrated in January.
- Buddha Poornima– On this occasion, the three most important stages of Gautama Buddha's life, namely - Birth (Buddha Jayanthi), Enlightenment, and Death - are celebrated.
- Pitrapaksha Mela (Fair).
- Navratri and Dussehra – A 10-day festival where goddess Durga is worshipped, and lots of fairs and rituals are carried out.
- Diwali – The festival of lights (usually celebrated in October/November).