The staple foods of Jharkhand are rice, dal (pulses) and vegetables, especially and tubers (potatoes, yams).
Popular dishes from the cuisine of Jharkhand include:
- Rotis (like Chilka Roti, Arsa Roti) – Flatbreads made of unleavened doughs of rice flour on “tawa” pans).
- Mard Jhor – A dish of herbs cooked in rice starch.
- Aaru ki sabzi – A curry made with a tuber vegetable found exclusively in Jharkhand.
- Sanai phool ka bharta – A dish made of a variety of edible flowers called Sanai - popular in rural areas of Jharkhand
- Tilkut – A biscuit made with pounded sesame-seeds and jaggery or melted sugar.
- Maduwa Khassi – A dish made with mutton that is smoked with its skin intact – usually served with rice.