Kochi has various attractive places to visit and experience – places that are of historical importance or which provide shopping, ecological, luxury or adventurous experiences. There’s something for everyone in this incredible city full of culture.
Some incredible things to do and places to check out in Kochi are:
- Fort Kochi – a seaside town known for its Portuguese and Dutch colonial era history and ruins, located in the south-western part of the coastal town.
A ferry ride from Ernakulam (the central part of Kochi) to Fort Kochi is highly recommended – it is a scenic ride that is loved by tourists as well as locals.
- Kochi Jewish Synagogue – A beautiful Jewish synagogue built in 16th century – popular tourist site in Kochi.
- Chinese Fishing Nets – Elaborate conventional fishing nets that were gifted by a Chinese king centuries ago, Kochi is the only place in the world where these nets are found apart from China. Fishermen in Kochi’s Malabar coast portion use them to this day, to catch fish.
- Marine Drive – A surreal and scenic promenade which is built facing Kochi’s backwaters, and also provides a beautiful view of the sea – this is a great place to hang out and get some sea breeze.
- Veeranpuzha Lake – A beautiful picturesque lake, lying parallel to the Malabar coast along with beautifully formed backwaters that make for a lovely boat ride..
- Bhoothathankettu Trekking – Bhoothathankettu is a dam situated about 50 km from Kochi. The site is also known for its incredible trekking experience and is loved by hiking and trekking enthusiasts.