Kushinagar has many attractions, most of which are associated with Buddhism and Lord Gautama Buddha – the places he visited, spent time at and attained Mahaparinirvana. Hence these are of historical as well as religious significance.
Here are the most popular sites to visit in Kushinagar:
- Mahaparinirvana temple – A temple at the spot where Gautama buddha attained Mahaparinirvana.
- Ramabhar Stupa – The actual cremation place of Gautama Buddha.
- Mathakuar Shrine – One of the important Buddhist shrines in the city.
- Japanese Temple – A Buddhist temple built in this city by a Japanese organization. The upper part of this temple is painted a shiny golden and looks very appealing on the inside too.
- Kuber Asthan – A Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Kuber, the Hindu God of wealth. One of the few popular non-Buddhist sites in the city.