Madurai is famous for its vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian food scene, and the restaurants here offer both these cuisines in many varieties and specialties. Some popular restaurants and eateries in Madhurai which offer incredible food and gastronomical experience are:
- Murugan Idli Shop – Known for its spongy melt-in-the-mouth idlis and generous servings of flavorful chutneys.
- Chandran Mess – A family restaurant, known for their signature Kola Urundai made from scratch, with spices ground traditionally with stone pestles.
- Sri Nagalakshmi Annex – Known for its tomato rice, Kalkandu saadham.
- Famous Jigarthanda – A shop known for its all-time favourite Jigarthanda drink, served with fresh, hand-churned ice cream.
- Amma Mess – A popular restaurant (said to have been frequented by Tamil movie celebrities) famous for Meen Kuzhambu (fish sambar/gravy) and bone marrow omelette (an omelette made with eggs, onions, green chillies, the gravy from any seafood curry and the star ingredient – mutton bone marrow); and some delicious vegetarian dishes too.