Nagpur consists of a majority of Maharashtrians and Hindus. So, most Hindu festivals and few others are celebrated grandly in this city. These include:
- Maha Shivratri – People worship Lord Shiva and fast for long hours).
- Makar Sankranti – An auspicious harvest festival celebrated in the month of January.
- Holi – Festival of colours; celebrated in the month of March.
- Marbat – A festival locally hosted in Nagpur with dances, plays and rituals; It is believed by the locals here that through this festival, all evil forces giving troubles to people here are eliminated.
- Gudi padwa – Marathi New Year Day (celebrated all over Maharashtra state).
- Navrathri & Dussehra – A 10-day festival, where Goddess Durga is revered).
- Ganesh Chaturthi – A major festival in the state of Maharashtra, this is celebrated in all cites and town in this state, to worship Lord Ganesha (who is also the son of Lord Shiva).