Navi Mumbai, (formerly known as New Bombay), is the largest planned city in India and also in the entire world – a city carefully planned from its inception and constructed on an undeveloped land in the west Indian state of Maharashtra, from scratch.
It is a “twin-city” to Mumbai - the capital city of Maharashtra. Navi Mumbai was planned in 1971 with the goal of mitigating the strain caused by Mumbai’s growing population on its developing infrastructure; and was completed and inaugurated in 1972.
Following are some of the best places to check out in Navi Mumbai:
- Central Park – A park in the centre of the city, that includes 1.5-kilometer walking/jogging track, a botanical garden filled with beautiful plants and flowers and an open-air amphitheatre too! A favourite hangout spot for many locals and a place where many interesting events are also held.
- Pandavkada Falls – A famous, historic waterfall falling from a height of about 107 metres; believed to have been the place where Pandavas (from the epic Mahabharata) had bathed. There are many rock formations nearby, and even a trekking trail.
- Utsav Chowk – An area in Kharghar on the main road, enclosed by a decorated roundabout which is built in an architectural style that is a fusion of Greek and Roman styles; it is also surrounded by an aesthetic garden.
- Belapur Mango Garden – A Park and garden that is dedicated exclusively to mango trees.
- Nhava Sheva Port – The largest port in India, lined with ships; it accounts for up to 50% the Maharashtra’s port traffic.
- Rain Tree Marg – A beautiful road and stretch leading up to the picturesque Kharghar hills; great for adventurous rides (and also deemed somewhat dangerous; so, the necessary precautions are advised).
- Belapur Fort – A historic fort and a now-popular trekking destination.
The major festivals celebrated in Navi Mumbai are:
- Makar Sankranti – An auspicious harvest festival celebrated in the month of January.
- Holi – Festival of colours; celebrated in the month of March.
- Gudi padwa – Marathi New Year Day (celebrated all over Maharashtra state.
- Navrathri & Dussehra – A 10-day festival, where Goddess Durga is revered.
- Ganesh Chaturthi – A major festival in the state of Maharashtra, this is celebrated in all cites and town in this state, to worship Lord Ganesha (who is also the son of Lord Shiva).
- Maha Shivratri – People worship Lord Shiva and fast for long hours.
Some festivals exclusive to Navi Mumbai, such as:
- Navi Mumbai International Film Festival – An (annual) occasion to showcase the selected works of newly established s well as budding and well-known filmmakers from across India and the rest of the world.
- Navi Mumbai Food Truck Festival – A festival where many Food Trucks (trucks doubling up as food stalls) sell 100+ dishes, especially street foods (from across the state, country and the world); along with lots of entertainment for kids & live performances by artists.
Navi Mumbai has many large shopping malls and complexes than street shops and markets. Here are some of the top malls in the city:
- Seawoods Grand Central Mall
- Inorbit Mall
- Glomax Mall
- Raghuleela Mall
- Haware Centurion Mall
- Fountain Square Mall
A rapid transit system called The Navi Mumbai Metro is currently under construction – it is a speed train system for local transportation between different areas within Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra. It was originally planned to be inaugurated in 2020, but due to some reasons (one being the novel Corona virus), has been delayed indefinitely.
Here are some of the best restaurants and cafes with menus ranging from local cuisines and other Indian cuisines to all kinds of world cuisines in Navi Mumbai:
- Bhagat Tarachand
- Asian Kitchen
- Hotel Navaratna Veg Restaurant
- Soy Street
- Mainland China Navi Mumbai
- Shaollin Temple
- Something’s Fishy
- The Food Studio
- Brew House Cafe
- Pot Pourri
Some of the best hotels for a comfortable stay in Navi Mumbai are:
- Majestic Court Sarovar Portico
- Ramada by Wyndham
- The Regenza by Tunga
- Royal Orchid Central Grazia
- Royal Tulip Hotel
- Fortune Select Exotica
- Hotel Sunrise Residency
- Hotel Rex Plaza
- Pushp Vatika Resort & Lawns
- Hotel Monarch Express
Navi Mumbai has a vibrant nightlife, which most people outgoing will love. Here are some interesting bars and pubs to check out in the city:
- Rude Lounge
- The Angrezi Pub
- Dale’s Heaven
- Royal Oak Brewer
- Overtime Sports Bar & grill
- The Jumping Frog
Navi Mumbai STD Code – 0215 (to be used before dialling numbers from a device that is not locally registered).
- Police – 100, 022-27574928, 27561099
- Fire – 101, 022-27660101
- Women Helpline – 7738133133, 103
- Blood Bank – 104, 1910
- AIDS Helpline – 1097
- Disaster Helpline – 022-22694725
Marathi is the main language of Navi Mumbai .
- Welcome - Tumcha svagat aso
- How are you? - Tu kas ahes
- What's your name? - Tujha nav kay ahe
- Where are you from? - Apaṇ kothale ahat?
- Good morning - Su-prabhat
- Have a nice day - Sukhi raha