PRESENT-DAY POOMPUHAR & ITS ATTRACTIONS
The town that is Poompuhar today was built on the north banks of the river Kaveri. And consists of 2 districts:
- Maruvurpakkam near the sea and
- Pattinappakkam to its west.
These two areas were separated by a stretch of orchards where daily markets used to be held under the trees. The market place was known as Naalangadi during the day and as Allangadi by evening.
Some more places to see or visit in this ancient yet young town of Poompuhar are:
- Silapaddikaram Art Gallery – This is a seven-story gallery which is well-known for its anomalous architecture, and its collection of art work related to the Silapaddikaram epic (a popular epic in Tamil language).
- Elanchi – An ancient tank whose waters have miraculous powers to heal diseases, according to the epic of Silapaddikaram.
- Poompuhar Beach – The most popular beach here, which is located along the Bay of Bengal, starting from the Kaveri River and extending till three kilometres (more than 1.8 miles). The area is lined with palm trees swaying around the fringes, and the sunset view from here is absolutely stunning.
- Zion Church – An ancient church, built in 1701 by the Dutch settlers of the region; this is a must see for its typical Dutch style architecture and look; and an unmissable spot for religious (Christian) people or history enthusiasts.