Rameshwaram is known for its religious and historical attractions. Here are some must-visit places in Rameswaram:
- Rameswaram Temple – A popular Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Dhanushkodi Temple & Beach – A beautiful temple close to the beach; which had gotten washed away in a cyclone some years ago, and currently only the remains exist.
- Jatayu Tirtham – A temple dedicated to Jatayu - a loyal eagle who is known to have helped Lord Rama during his forest exile.
- Gandhamadana Parvatham – An ancient temple dedicated to Gandhamadana who’s the deity of several communities in southern India, and a highly revered one.
- Agnitheertham – A sacred bathing place for pilgrims in the city.
- Lakshmana Tirtham – A holy place (tank) which was built in the memory of Lord Rama’s most loyal brother Lakshmana; to whom prayers are offered here.
- Five-Faced Hanuman Temple – A temple dedicated to hanuman, a monkey god, Lord Rama’s devotee and the son of Lord Vayu (the god of winds); the lord’s idol here is shown with 5 faces – which is believed to be a representation of his multiple strengths.