Major festivals celebrated in Shillong include –
- Shillong Autumn Festival – A festival highlighting the city’s culture, arts and traditions; celebrated in October, this is a cultural extravaganza for the locals, and is attended my many people from outside the state too.
- Nongkrem Dance Festival – This festival is celebrated by the locals here to thank the Almighty for good harvest, peace, and prosperity of the community; a goat sacrifice custom is also followed by some tribes here during this occasion, for the God.
- Wangala Festival – A harvest festival that is celebrated by people of Shillong in honour of Saljong, the Sun-God of fertility.
- Shad Suk Mynsiem – A kind of thanksgiving for the people of Shillong, where they celebrate with folk dances and fancy-dress ups (celebrated in April).
- Behdienkhalam – A festival celebrated by a particular tribe here called Jaintia in July month; where they commemorate their forefathers and offer sacrificial foods to their spirits.