The major festivals celebrated in Thrissur are –
- Onam – This is one of the most important festivals in Kerala state, and is also celebrated in Kochi majestically. Street parades happen with dancers dressed like animals, and people decorate homes and streets with flowers in the form of Rangolis (also called Pookalam).
- Aluva Shivarathri – A festival dedicated to Lord Shiva. People usually fast during daytimes and pray to Lord Shiva during this festival. In Kerala, it is celebrated during the months of February/March.
- Ramadan – A Muslim festival, this marks the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, and is observed by Muslim people as a month of intermittent fasting and prayer.
- Guruvayoor Ekadasi – A local temple festival of Kerala, celebrated in November.
- Peruvvanam Pooram – Another popular temple festival in Kerala.
- Aanayoottu – A festival involving number of elephants position in temple complex amid a multitude of people who worshipped and feed them.