Tirupati is a city in the south Indian state of Andhra Pradesh . The city lies in the peaks of the Tirumala hills in the region, and is home to the popular Sri Venkateshwara Temple – the richest temple in India, which lies on top of seven peaks of the Tirumala hills.
Some of the top places to see in Tirupati include the following –
- Sri Venkateshwara Zoological Park – A zoo and wildlife sanctuary, which houses wild animals like lions, and various birds as well.
- Sri Venkateshwara National Park – A forest and green sanctuary.
- Deer Park Tirupati
- Talakona Waterfalls Tirupati
- TTD Gardens – A beautiful flower and landscape garden; it is said that this garden supplies around 500 kg of flowers to the temples in and around Tirupati every day, to be used in the worships and rituals.
- Sri Venkateshwara Swamy Temple – A Hindu temple, this is the abode of Lord Venkateshwara.
- Sri Padmavathi Ammavari Temple – The abode of Goddess Padmavathi, who is the consort of Lord Venkateshwara, this temple is situated at the foot of the Tirumala hills. Devotees generally visit this temple to seek Her blessings before visiting the temple of the Lord on the hills.
- SriKalaHasti Temple
- Srivari Museum – A museum that contains scriptures and relics related to the history of the famous Venkateshwara Swamy temple in the city, right from its inception and including all the subsequent developments made on it.
The major festivals celebrated in Tirupati include the following –
- Maha Shivaratri – A festival dedicated to the Hindu God Shiva, where people observe fasts and pray to the Lord.
- Sankranti – A harvest festival celebrated in January (also known as Pongal).
- Ugadi – A festival that marks the beginning of a new year according to the Telugu calendar; this is celebrated all over the south Indian states of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
- Navratri and Dussehra – A 10-day Hindu festival, where Goddess Durga is worshipped – Navaratri is the first 9 days and the 10th day is Dussehra.
- Deepavali – The festival of Lights; India’s most popular and widely celebrated festival.
If you’d like to buy some souvenirs, the best things to buy from Tirupati are idols of Lord Venkateshwara, handicrafts and fancy jewelry, worship (pooja) items, local sweets, cotton clothes and so on. Some of the best shopping spots to check out in the city are –
- Tirumala Tirupati Market (clothes, idols, handicrafts and décor items, and accessories)
- New Balaji Bangles & Fancy
- Abhiruchi Swagruha Foods
- Sushena Organics (Organic food mart)
- Subhamasthu Shopping Mall
- CMR Shopping Mall
- Chandan Ramesh Shopping Mall
Public transport within the city of Tirupati includes buses, taxis, auto-rickshaws.
Tirupati’s food scene is filled with south Indian delicacies, street foods and traditional Andhra dishes . Some of the must-try foods in Tirupati include –
- Pulihora – A tangy and spicy tamarind turmeric rice.
- Rava Dosa – A crispy rice flour batter crepe topped with cumin, chilli and onions; and served with some coconut chutney. A popular breakfast item.
- Tirupati laddu – A special laddu (spherical sweet) that is offered to Venkateshwara at Tirumala Venkateshwara Temple, and distributed among devotees. Made of gram flour, cashews, sugar candy, camphor, cardamom and raisins, this is a special sweet that is available only in this temple and is a popular. Most devotees take this divine and delicious offering home for friends and relatives.
Following is a list of some of best restaurants in Tirupati to try the local delicacies as well as other interesting foods and sumptuous meals –
- Rainbow – Pure Vegetarian
- Perambur Srinivasa Sweets & Snacks
- Hotel Mayura
- Bhimas Paradise
- Neptune Bar
- Usha Vasavi Restaurant
- Vanam Restaurant
- Hotel Sindhuri Park
- Nine Flavours
- Lakshmi Narayana Bhavan
- Blue Fox
- Idli Factory
Some of the best hotels in Tirupati for a comfortable stay include the following –
- Marasa Sarovar Premiere Tirupati
- Taj Tirupati
- Hotel Pai Viceroy Tirupati
- Fortune Select Grand Ridge
- Hotel Raj Park Tirupati
- Hotel Amulyam Residency
- FabHotel Mount View Comforts
- Hotel Vishnavi Inn
- Golden Pearl Inn
- Fortune Kences Hotel
- Hotel Raj Park Tirupati
- Tirupati STD Code – 0877 (to be used before dialling numbers from a device that is not locally registered)
- Police Control room – 100
- Fire emergency – 101
- Child Helpline – 1098
- Women Helpline – 181, 1091
- Ambulance/Medical help – 102, 10
Telugu is the official of Tirupati but languages like Tamil, Kannada and Hindi are spoken as well.
- Welcome - Susvaagatam
- How are you? - Meeru aelaa unnaaru?
- What's your name? - Mee paeraemandi?
- Where are you from? - Meeday vooru?
- Good morning - Shubhodayam
- Good afternoon - Shubha dhinaṅ
- Welcome - Svagat
- How are you? - Aap kaise hai?
- What's your name? - Aapka naam kya hai?
- I don't know - Mujhe nahi pata
- I don't understand - Mein samjha nahi
- Thank you - Dhanyavad
- What's your name? - Unga péranna?
- My name is - En péru
- Where are you from? - Nienga engirundhu varrienga?
- Congratulations! - Paaraattukkal
- Good night and sweet dreams! - Nalla thoungunga!
- What Is This? - Idhu enna?
- Hello - Namaskra
- How are you? - Athava kshemana?
- Welcome - Susvgata
- What's your name? - Nimma hesarenu?
- My name is - Nanna hesaru
- Good morning - Shubhodaya