Kufri is a quaint little hill town 20km away from Shimla,Himachal Pradesh. Earlier known to be the summer retreat for the British in 1819, Kufri still harbors its past through the colonial buildings and architecture around. With its pleasant summer weather and winter snowfall, Kufri is flocked by tourists almost at all times. However, snowfall is at its peak from November to March, which is also the best time to visit Kufri.
Located at an altitude of 2720 meters above sea level, Kufri is the starting point for some of the famous treks in Himachal. The Mahasu peak trek and the Fagu valley are two of the most sought-after places in Kufri, except you could hike or go on a pony ride from the parking lot to reach the top.
SLOPES, PRICES AND TIMINGS
Slopes – When planning on going for skiing, you can get access to beginners or advance level slops. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Mahasu Peak – One of the highest points in Kufri, Mahasu Peak offers breathtaking views of Badrinath and Kedarnath ranges. Hiking is the best ways to explore through a thick forest of deodar and spiff up to the top. Here, you'll find Mahasu ridge, which is an ideal spot for the one who practice before hitting the cruder slopes. Many tourists visit the peak during winter season to have some fun in the snow.
- Rohtang Pass – Situated at a higher altitude near Manali, Rohtang Pass boasts steep slopes that challenge even the most advanced skiers, along with stunning panoramic mountain views.
Price – The price of skiing at Kufri starts with INR 300 per person.
ATTRACTIONS IN KUFRI
- Mahasu Peak – Known to be one of the highest points in Kufri, the Mahasu Peak offers stunning views of the Kedarnath and Badrinath ranges. An easier option other than hiking to the peak is to hire a mule or horse for a minimal price of INR 650. Once you reach atop, there's a Nag Temple amidst a serene viewpoint. You can also visit the Mahasu Ridge that's an ideal skiing spot.
- Kufri Valley – Feed your wanderlust with alluring beauty of Green Valley, laced with enchanting deodar and pine trees. As you go deep inside the forest, you will be welcomed by Yaks grazing the fields and innumerable variants of plantations.
Righteously named “Green Valley”, it is covered with lush green blankets of nature.Here you can whiff the freshness of the air and dive in the tranquil surrounding of the majestic valley.
- The Green Valley – The Green Valley is a beautiful and breathtaking mountain range that falls on the way to Kufri from Shimla. It is not uncommon to sight some Yaks wandering and grazing around in the valley. The place is undeveloped for tourism, nevertheless, it continues to be a crowd puller and capture the attention of tourists with its dense deodar and pine trees that line the majestic hills.
- The Himalayan Nature Park – Housing distinct rare species of the Himalayan range, this park is one of the most exciting places to visit in Kufri. Tucked between the mighty Himalayas, it extends breathtaking views. From Kashmir Stag, Barking Deer, Blue Sheep to Red Jungle Fowl and Blue Sheep each one of them can be spotted here.
Not only this here you can also spot different variants of flora and fauna dwelling in the natural enclosures. It's truly a paradise for wildlife lovers.
- Indira Tourist Park – Indira Tourist Park located in Kufri, Shimla is a perfect place for some refreshment and rejuvenation. Here tourists can sit back amidst the greenery of nature or can even enjoy yak and pony rides. This park also has an ice cream parlour, a beer bar, a games parlour and so much more. Indira Tourist Park falls under the jurisdiction of the Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation (HPTDC) and therefore provides visitors with the best experience. You can also get dressed up in traditional Himachali outfits and have a photoshoot here.
- Jakhu Temple – Synonymous with the word “spiritually”, Jakhu temple is one of the most peaceful places to visit in Kufri. Possessing a massive deity of Lord Hanuman, which is one of the tallest statues, it invites devotees from each and every region.Here one can satiate the hunger of peace, as the environs are too quiet and well-suited to rediscover oneself.
Best Time to Visit
November to March are the best months to visit Kufri when the snowfall is at its peak. However, summer months from April till June are quite pleasant and sees a lot of travelers. For individuals looking for heaps of snow that cover the town or for a good skiing vacation, November to March may be the best time to visit. However, for those looking to just enjoy the cool air with hill station vibes, the months of April to June are well suited.
How to Reach
- By Air: The closest airport to Kufri is Jubbarhatti Airport near Shimla located at a distance of about 20 km. Frequent flights are accessible from this airport to Delhi. International tourists can get connecting flights in Delhi.
- By Train: The nearest railway station to Kufri is located in Shimla on the narrow-gauge rail route and the Broad-Gauge railway station is at Kalka which is 100 kilometres away.
- By Road: State-owned transport buses, as well as the private luxurious buses, are accessible from Shimla to Kufri. Shared taxis and Private cabs are also available to commute.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)
What are the places near Kufri?
The top places near to Kufri are Shimla which is 9 km from Kufri, Kasauli which is located 36 km from Kufri, Manali which is located 127 km from Kufri, Mcleodganj which is located 158 km from Kufri, Narkanda which is located 25 km from Kufri.
What is the best time to visit Kufri?
The summer season in Kufri starts from April and lasts till the end of June. With weather extremely pleasant; Winters months in Kufri are from October to March. The place is very cold during these months and the temperature touches subzero levels; The Monsoon showers hit Kufri from July to September. Rainfall is scanty and the temperature drops to 10-degree Celsius.
What is the best way to reach Kufri?
Kufri does not have a railway station or an airport of its own. The most convenient way of traveling to Kufri is by reaching Shimla and then hiring a cab.
What are the things to do in Kufri?
The top things to do in Kufri are Kufri Fun World, Skiing in Kufri, Horse Ride to the Mahasu Peak, The Himalayan National Park, Mahasu Peak, Shimla.