Mundali is a vacationer spot close to Chakrata famed for magnificent Himalayan views and skiing in winters. It offers an eye calming view of the snow caked Himalayas. It is situated 36 kms far from Chakrata, Mundali is surrounded by lush green jungle and its alpine fields provide skiing at a height of 2776 metres. Travelers can holiday to Mundali in summers for memorable Himalayan scrutiny. During winters, skiers love to ski in crushed snow in hills of Mundali. It offers huge ski slopes for trained skiers. Skiing is accessible from November to April.
MUNDALI SKIING EXPERIENCE
Mundali, a picturesque ski destination of India is blessed with lush green forests and majestic peaks covered with powdery snow. Apart from being an ideal terrain for professionals to enjoy and further hone their skiing skill, it also offers perfect slopes for novice to begin their ski expedition. It also serves as a perfect destination for trek lovers, the landscape being adorned with nature’s beauty all around. With several ski gradients and perfect trail for trekkers, the place is a paradise for adventure lovers.
MUNDALI SKIING FACILITY AND INFRASTRUCTURE
- Accommodation and Amenities: There is only one accommodation facility available at Mundali. It’s the Forest Rest House. One should take prior permission from Forest Department in order to grab a stay at this place. Apart from this, camping is the alternate option available to stay in this hill station of Mundali. However, one can also have the option of resting in any of the hotel available near to Mundali. Few among them are Pacific Hotel, Aketa Hotel, Classic International, Great Value Hotel, Ajanta Continental Hotel, Meedos Grand, Hotel President, Shiva Residency, Athiti Hotel, Doon Regency Hotel, Inderlok Hotel, MJ Residency Hotel, Relax Hotel, Sunrise Hotel, Raj Deluxe Hotel, GMVN Tourist Bungalow Shishamjhari, City Star Hotel, Akashdeep Hotel and many more.
Requirements for Skiing in Mundali
When planning for a skiing adventure in Mundali, it's important to be aware of the essential requirements to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience. Here are some key requirements for skiing in Mundali –
- Skiing Gear – Bring or rent appropriate skiing gear, including skis, boots, poles, helmets, and goggles. Ensure that your equipment is in good condition and suitable for the terrain and weather conditions in Mundali.
- Clothing – Bring woolen clothing, cap, socks, dark glasses, gloves, mufflers, pullovers, wind-proof jacket, gum/snow boots and a torch light in your travel kit.
- Physical Fitness – Undergoing certain medical tests is suggested. Altitude sickness should be checked for before you embark upon this trip.
- Skiing Skills – Skiing requires careful guidance for the beginners and caution by professionals in any part of the world therefore, local rules, regulations and guidelines regarding safety during Skiing must be followed to ensure safety, and when you are assured that you are mentally and physically prepared for this adventure sports, then only you should go for Skiing.
Prices and Timings
- Prices – The cost for skiing in Mundali starts from INR 10,900 per person. However, the cost may vary depending upon the service provider.
- Timings – Most ski resorts in Manali operate between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM, although the exact timings may vary depending on the resort and the daylight hours during the season.
Best Time to Visit
Mundali is blessed with powdered snow come the winters. The best time to visit Mundali for skiing is from December to February. Though the snowfall starts from end of October, the snow is thick enough for adventure later. Make plans for skiing after a fresh snowfall.
How to Reach
To reach Mundali, Chakrata is the first step. This particular hill town serves as a tourist base. Hotels, bus services, cabs and paved roads ends here. From the scenic hill station of Chakrata take a jeep ride to the ski destination. The distance is almost 36 kilometers. Moreover, trekking is also an interesting way to reach the ski resort.
- By Road: Buses, taxis and cabs connect Chakrata to numerous places in Uttarakhand. There are frequent services available. Bus services are available from New Delhi, Dehradun and Haridwar.
- By Rail: Dehradun Railway station is the nearest railhead to reach Mundali. From Dehradun, Chakrata is a 125 km distance. Dehradun railway station also offers frequent options.
- By Air: The nearest airport to reach Mundali is the Jolly Grant airport in Dehradun. The distance is 156 Km from Dehradun to Chakrata. Board taxi, cab and even buses from Dehradun to Chakrata.
ATTRACTIONS NEAR MUNDALI
- Lakha Mandal Temple – Located in Dehradun, the Lakha Mandal Temple, surrounded by beautiful mountains and the scenic Yamuna River, is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The main attraction of this temple shrine is the graphite lingam, which shines when water is poured on it. Inside the temple are idols of Lord Shiva, Goddess Parvati, Lord Kartikeya, Lord Ganesha, Lord Vishnu and Lord Bajrangbali and two six feet statues of dwarapalakas (sentinels) of the temple. Some people believe that dwarapalakas statues belong to the Pandavas brothers, Bhima and Arjuna. Besides this, there are around 150 stone engraved figures in the temple, some of which date back to the 4th and 5th centuries. The embellished architecture of the temple displays the richness of Indian heritage and thus it has been declared as a Monument of National Importance. The place is popular among devotees of the Shakti cult as Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati are worshipped as the embodiment of Shakti.
- Chakrata – A popular retreat since the time of British rule, Chakrata is a popular picnic spot, providing a panoramic view of the Yamuna valley and dense forests. The forest around Chakrata has amazing flora and fauna. It is the natural habitat of many wildlife species including panther, spotted deer and wild fowls. As you enter Chakrata, you come across a small central chowk, from where the road forks into two. The road heading straight is Tyuni Road, while the road to the right connects to the Mussoorie - Yamunotri Highway. On the Mussoorie road, just a few minutes away, a road breaks to the right, opening to the local market that is a paradise for shoppers. Located 5 km from Chakrata is Tiger Falls, which splashes into a rocky pool from a height of over 300 m and provides an exhilarating sight to visitors and trekkers.
- Tapkeshwar Temple – This unique temple is built in a natural cave and attracts a large number of devotees of Lord Shiva. Located merely 6.5 km from Dehradun, Tapkeshwar Temple is built on the banks of a river. Another interesting feature of this temple is that on the shivling established here, water drips from the top of a rock. This dripping has given the temple its name 'Tapkeshwar', which is a literal translation of dripping. Legend has it that the shivling grants the wishes of those who come to seek the god's blessings. The temple lies amidst beautiful surroundings, where visitors come to picnic and enjoy natural beauty. Being a Shiva temple, Shivaratri is a major event here and should not be missed by devotees.
- Kalsi – Kalsi is a small town located in between Chakrata and Dehradun near Dakpatthar on the banks of Yamuna River. Kalsi town is known for its heritage importance. Famous Mauryan Emperor, Ashoka's inscriptions as rock edicts is present in Kalsi. Its importance rises as it is the only Ashoka's Rock edict located in North India. The language used in these edicts is Pali.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)
Do I need prior skiing experience to ski in Mundali?
No, skiing in Mundali is suitable for all levels of experience. If you're a first-time skier, taking lessons or opting for guided skiing sessions is recommended to ensure safety and proper technique.
What is the best time to visit Mundali for skiing?
The best time to visit Mundali for skiing is from December to February.
What is the cost of skiing in Mundali?
The cost for skiing in Mundali starts from INR 10,900 per person.
Is skiing safe in Mundali?
Yes, it is absolutely safe to opt for skiing in Mundali. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned skier, the slopes of Mundali are made for all.