Narkanda is situated at an altitude of 2708 meters on the Hindustan Tibet Road. It gives a beautiful view of snow ranges. Famous for Skiing & Winter sports, Narkanda is among India's oldest ski destinations with the undulating beauty of nature. Perched at an altitude of 8100 ft, the slopes of the hill town are perfect for the skills of beginners as well as experienced skiers. Hatu Peak near Narkanda towering at 2000 ft is one of the popular ski slopes in the area.
Narkanda SKIING EXPERIENCE
Narkanda is one of the cities with the hidden treasure of various adventure activities. Apart from Kufri, people do visit Narkanda to enjoy skiing at the foothills of the Himalayas. The snow simply changes the complete landscape into a beautiful scenery of hills covered with snow sparkling in the sunshine.
NARKANDA SKIING FACILITY AND INFRASTRUCTURE
- Slopes and Skiing areas â€“ The slopes of Narkanda are suitable for both beginners as well as seasoned skier.
- Ski Resorts and Ski schools â€“ Narkanda boasts of plenty of luxurious resorts that also facilitates learning and taking part in skiing. Some of the resorts are Tethys Ski Resorts, The Wilderness Resort, and V Resorts. These resorts conveniently provide with all the facilities for skiing in Narkanda.
- Safety Measures and First Aids â€“ Carry medicines for cold and flu. Make sure you carry plenty of warm clothes. Jackets that insulate are suggested. Take your instructor's tips very seriously and pain relievers for casualties.
Requirements for Skiing in Narkanda
- Skiing Gear â€“ Bring or rent appropriate skiing gear, including skis, boots, poles, helmets, and goggles. Ensure that your equipment is in good condition and suitable for the terrain and weather conditions in Manali.
- Clothing â€“ Gumboots/snow boots; Winter thick jacket (mandatory); Hand gloves (mandatory) (waterproof gloves recommended); Dark UV sunglasses (mandatory); Sunscreen SPF 50+(mandatory); Day backpack (mandatory); Woollen clothing, head cap and thick socks; Windproof/padded jacket; Sun Cap â€“ Preferably Round cap for neck protection; 1 litre of water bottle/person in your day backpack.
- Physical Fitness â€“ Skiing requires a certain level of physical fitness and stamina. Engage in regular exercises that focus on strength, balance, and flexibility to prepare your body for the physical demands of skiing. Undergoing certain medical tests is suggested. Altitude sickness should be checked for before you embark upon this trip.
- Skiing Skills â€“ While skiing in Narkanda is suitable for all skill levels, it is advisable to have at least basic skiing skills. If you're a beginner, consider taking lessons from professional instructors to learn proper techniques and ensure a safer skiing experience.
Slopes, Prices and Timings
- Slopes â€“ The slopes at this place allow both beginners as well as experts to enjoy skiing.
- Price â€“ The cost for skiing in Narkanda is INR 1200 per person.
- Timings â€“ The timings for skiing in Narkanda is between 10 AM to 5 PM. The duration of a skiing package in Narkanda is for 2 hours.
Best Time to Visit
The greatest time to see Narkanda at its most lovely is in the winter. In the months of December and January, the hamlet's hills receive a lot of snowfall. Sometimes snow falls into February as well. Snowboarding and skiing enthusiasts frequently travel to Narkanda. The best time to feel the excitement is from January to March.
How to Reach
- By Road: The distance is about 63 kilometres, and the trip will take you two to three hours. The pace of life in the hills is typically slow and steady.
- By Train: There are no direct trains to Narkanda from Delhi. From Delhi, you must board a train for Kalka. The most practical choice is the Shatabdi train.
- By Air: Jubarhatti, which is around 80 kilometres from Narkanda near Shimla, has the closest airport. Either reserve a taxi right at the airport or take a bus to Narkanda from Shimla.
ATTRACTIONS NEAR NARKANDA
- Hatu Peak â€“ Soaring at a height of nearly 12,000 feet above sea level, the Hatu Peak is the highest peak in the entire Shimla district, located 8km from Narkanda. Surrounded by majestic mountains and covered in a dense green blanket of sky-touching cedar and fir, Hatu Peak may just be paradise on earth. The forest is a mixed one, comprising a varied population of deodar, fir, spruce, cedar and blue pine; but is mostly renowned for its colourful apple orchards. Adding to the peak's historical and cultural significance is a small stove like formation that sits right next to the temple, which is believed to have been used by the Pandava brothers for cooking their food during the Agyaat Vaas! Such a rich landscape and stunning view are bound to invite the lovers of the green, and hence, Hatu Peak is a very popular trekking spot for many. The trek is not very rigorous and is a one-way hike of 7 km to the peak. One can also go camping in Hatu Peak and enjoy under the stars in the tent.
- Hatu Mata Temple â€“ Hatu Mata Temple is more than a pilgrimage site situated at 3352 meters above sea level in Narkanda, Shimla. It is a must-visit place if you are visiting Narkanda. The architecture of Hatu Mata Temple is different from other Hindu Temples. It is a perfect example of the combination of two cultures. The temple has carvings resembling Buddhism. Travellers also arrive here for trekking. You will get a full 360-degree view of mountains covered with snow. It also has a religious significance related to Mahabharata. As it is said Pandavas used to cook their meals when they were sent into exile. The distance from the Narkanda Bus stand to the Hatu Mata Temple is approx. 7.3 kilometers. You can visit the temple from any time between mornings to evening with no entry charge. It has sharp and narrow roads that will give the thrill and excitement throughout the journey.
- Stokes Farm â€“ Stokes Farm, in Thanadar hamlet, is famed for its spectacular apple orchards. Located 16km from Narkanda, it is Shimla's oldest apple orchard. In 1916, Mr. Satyanand Stokes, an American who eventually migrated in India, began apple planting in this region. When the heat of the plains got to him on a leprosy mission in India in 1904, he was recommended to recover in Kotgarh near Thanedar in Himachal. With time on his hands, he experimented with growing apples. The effectiveness of his initiatives revolutionised the state's economy, and now it's a major exporter of apples.
- Tannu Jubbar Lake â€“ Tannu Jubbar Lake is encircled with trees all around is an ideal picnic spot and to spend some relaxed time with the clear reflection of tress in the lake. Please note that it is a small lake with no boating facility.
- Mahamaya Temple â€“ Located at distance of 7km form Narkanda is the Mahamaya Temple, dedicated to Goddess Kali. Set amidst breathtakingly beautiful surroundings with a sense of calm and serenity, this temple provides the perfect ambience for meditation and introspection.
- Jau Baug â€“ Jau Baug is a top tourist attraction located 8 kilometers away from Narkanda town in Shimla. The beautiful mountains and meadows are just picturesque. It is also a trekking point for tourists situated just 15 minutes away from Hatu peak. The approximate time to visit Jau baug will take around 2 to 3 hours. You can arrange your trekking with the local operators or organizers. You can arrive here with your friends, and family to experience the heavenly beauty. Jau Baug is also linked with the "Vanya Prasthaâ€ of the Pandavas. It is best to explore Jau Bag and other beautiful hilltop locations in Narkanda on foot. It is because, at a certain point, the roads become narrow and dangerous for cars.
- Derthu Mata Temple â€“ Derthu Mata Temple is a beautiful ancient Hindu temple located near Narkanda. The Derthu Mata Temple is situated at an altitude of 8500 feet. It is said that Derthu Mata is the Mother Goddess of Kumharsain and Sangri people of the area. The spectacular view and the divine aura of the temple make this a worth-it experience. To begin your trek to Derthu Mata Temple, you need to reach the reporting point near Narkanda Bus Stand. The approximate distance for trekking from Narkanda to Derthu Mata Temple is around 10 kilometers. Hence, you can cover the distance in about 5 hours. The trek begins at 9 AM and you will reach there by 2 PM. You can book your trek with local camp organizers with a price starting from INR 3000 for one.
- Kacheri â€“ Kacheri is a tourist spot located around 7 kilometers away from the nearest bus stand of Narkanda town. It is a less â€“explored hamlet which is around 500 meters walking distance from Oddi. The famous Mahamaya Temple is also located in Kacheri. Apart from that, the land gets covered with snow during winters. There are several apple orchards you will find in Kacheri which are famous in the area. Another attractive location is Tani Jubbar Lake which is spectacular and surrounded by green forests. You can stay at any lodge in Narkanda and visit Kacheri anytime.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)
How much does snow skiing cost In Narkanda?
The Narkanda skiing cost starts from 1200 INR per adult.
What is the duration of skiing In Narkanda?
The skiing activity In Narkanda duration is for 2 hours. During these two hours, you can learn to balance, turning and ski downhill in the snowplow position on the thick white sheet of snow.
Can a beginner go for skiing in Narkanda?
One of the best things about Narkanda skiing activity is that it is suitable even for beginners. The slopes at this place allow both beginners as well as experts to enjoy skiing. Moreover, the skiing package has trained and experienced professionals to assist the beginners while performing the skiing activity.