Daulatabad fort is a historic citadel located in Daulatabad (also called Devagiri) village near Aurangabad city in the west Indian state of Maharashtra .
This fort was built in 1187 AD by the Yadava dynasty which ruled the region in 12th century. It was then known as Deogiri.
In the 14th century, the Sultan of Delhi - Muhammad Bin Tughlak came upon this fort and fell in love with it. So, he decided to move his court and capital there, renaming it to Daulatabad, which translated to - "the City of Fortune/wealth", and made the entire population of Delhi in that time to move to this fort city.
Daulatabad is a beautiful Hill Fort that stands on a hill, at the height of 190 metres. This fort has various elements such as -
- Baradari Hall (a grand octagonal building with 13 halls)
- A temple within the complex (Bharat Mata Temple)
- Chand Minar (or the Moon Tower)
- Rang Mahal (a rectangular building with woodwork carvings)
- Chini Mahal (a building that had been a prison)
- Aam Khas building, a huge hall meant for the public audience
- Some ancient Rock-cut Caves
- Saraswati Bawdi (a stepwell)
- Hathi Haud or Elephant Tank - a large water tank (capacity - 10,000 cubic meters)
- Andheri (meaning darkness) - a dark passage that was intended to trap and confuse intruders or attackers
- A building called Kacheri
Additional Information for Visitors
Daulatabad Fort is open to visitors between 9 AM and 6 PM every day, on all days of the week.
An entry fee of INR 10 per head is applicable for every Indian national (adult) visitor to this place, and for foreigners (adult), the entrance fee applicable is INR 100 per head. For visitors who’d like to bring a camera, an additional INR 25 is charged.
Daulatabad is close to Aurangabad, which is well connected to various major cities across India as well as other parts of the world, and can be reached by air, rail or road.
- By air – The nearest airport to Daulatabad Fort is Chikkalthana Airport at Aurangabad, which is 23 kms (14.29 miles) away. Visitors can reach the airport from any part of India or the world, and can hire a cab, bus or autorickshaw from here to reach Daulatabad Fort.
- By rail – The nearest railway station to Daulatabad Fort is the Aurangabad railway station which is 15.4 kms (9.56 miles) away. This is connected to various major cities in India and can be reached easily, and visitors can hire cab, bus or autorickshaw from here to reach the fort.
- By road – People can also travel to Daulatabad by road on bus, auto-rickshaw or cabs from nearby cities from neighbouring regions.