Haldwani is a city in the north Indian state of Uttarakhand . It is the third most populous city in the state and also its largest commercial centre.
In fact, Haldwani is said to be the financial capital of Uttarakhand as it is a top contributor to the commercial, economic and industrial activities and revenues in the state.
Some of the top places to see in Haldwani include the following -
- Kathgodam – Translating to “timber depot”, this is the city’s major train terminal/railway station surrounded by stunning greenery, it also has an interesting history, and is a must-see spot.
- Gaula Dam
- Bhimtal Lake
- Hidimba Parvat
- Shitla Devi Temple
- Naukuchiatal – A hill town 1200m above sea level, located next to Haldwani, having a beautiful lake and surreal natural beauty
- Hanuman Garhi Temple
- Kainchi Dham
- Corbett Museum / Jim Corbett Museum
- Kumaon Regimental Center
The major festivals celebrated in Haldwani are –
- Navratri & Dussehra – A 10-day festival, where goddess Durga is worshipped, and lots of celebrations are carried out with merriment, prayers, traditional food, dances and songs.
- Holi – Festival of colours, celebrated in March.
- Harela – Translating to “day of green”, where the city’s greenery is celebrated and people pray for prosperity, as the greenery is believed to bring luck.
- Diwali – Festival of lights, celebrated in October-November.
- Makar Sankranti – A harvest festival, where cows are worshipped in various regions.
- Basant Panchami – A festival marking the onset of spring season.
If you’d like to indulge in some shopping , here are some good shopping spots to check out in this city –
- Thandi Sadak
- Almora Bazaar
- Bhotiya Market
- Kundan Market
- Disha Bisht Shaanvi Roj Mall
- Pankaj Mall
- Super Shopping Centre Haldwani
- Pots & Stones
- Udupiwala Restaurant
- Chhatwal’s Chicken Point
- Himalayan Roots
- Shama Restaurant
- Motimahal Restaurant
- New Krazy Kitchen
Some of the best hotels in Haldwani for a comfortable stay include the following –
- Hotel Silk
- Haldwani Hotel
- Devashish Hotel
- Hotel Parwati Palace
- Hotel Crystal Grand
- Jaiguru Hotel
- GenX Sundaram
- Hotel Raj Palace
- Hotel Alankar Haldwani
Haldwani also has a few good bars and pubs having good food, drinks and ambience, for people to hang out or entertain themselves during late hours. These include –
- Blue night Bar & Restaurant
- Ashoka Bar & Restaurant
- Jagdish Bar
- Gangstar Club
- The Moonshine Cafe
Haldwani city STD Code – 05946 (to be used before dialling numbers from a number that is not locally registered).
Common emergency numbers:
- Police – 100
- Fire – 101
- Ambulance – 102
- Women Helpline – 1090
- AIDS Helpline – 1097
- Child Helpline – 1098
Hindi is the official language of Haldwani.
- Welcome - Svagat
- How are you? - Aap kaise hai?
- What's your name? - Aapka naam kya hai?
- I don't know - Mujhe nahi pata
- I don't understand - Mein samjha nahi
- Thank you - Dhanyavad