Jhansi Fort or Jhansi ka Kila is a fortress situated on a large hilltop called Bangira, in Uttar Pradesh , Northern India.
This fort was built by Raja Bir Singh Ju Deo of Orchha on a rocky hill called Bangra in the town of Balwantnagar (now known as Jhansi) between 1606 to 1627 AD, and had served as a stronghold of the Chandela Kings in Balwant Nagar in the 17th century.
The Jhansi fort, covering a total area of 15 acres (61,000 sq. meter) is a great example of North Indian style of fort construction, and how it differs from that of the South. In the South, most of the forts were built on the sea beds while many of the northern ones were built on hills.
The fort has granite walls which are as thick as 20 feet, and there are a total of 10 gates to enter the fort from different directions, namely:
Within the premises of the fort are some temples like the Shiva temple, Ganesh temple at the entrance, and other things like a cannon (called Kadak Bijli) that was used in a 19th century battle. There are about twenty-two supports for the fort with a mammoth strengthening wall surrounded by a moat on both sides.
Near to the fort is the Rani Mahal, which was built in the late 19th century and currently includes an archaeological museum.
The Jhansi fort is located in Jhansi city, which is a city in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. The nearest train station from here is the Jhansi Railway station, which is the main terminal for inter-city trails in Jhansi.
The nearest airport is Gwalior Airport, which is 103 km from Jhansi; and the nearest (local) bus terminal is Jhansi Museum Bus Stop. Jhansi fort is open to visitors between 8.00 am and 6.00 pm. The entry fee is INR 5 for Indians and INR 200 for foreign citizens.