Nestled quietly in the quaint little fishing village of Manori in northern Mumbai, Manori beach is a perfect weekend getaway from the chaos of life while being all things peaceful, tranquil, and beautiful. The inviting stretch of smooth sand, the shimmering blues of roaring waters, and the picturesque landscape clubbing with lesser crowd comparatively, makes it a popular picnic spot.
Manori beach sometimes referred to as â€˜Mini Goaâ€™ because apart from the shimmering white sand banks, the beach area consists of many quaint and beautiful churches. There is also a thick grove of cashew trees and ample greenery surrounding the beach which enhances the charm of this place. Being located at the fishing village, Manori beach is also a popular fishing destination for the locals which is also used by the nearby resorts and shacks for preparing meals. If you happen to be here early morning, you can witness these fishermen trying to get the catch for the day which is a fascinating thing to watch.
The beach also has Samudreshwar temple, the Buddhist Pagoda, and even a Sufi Dargah which creates an amalgamation of different religions and cultures offering the visitors best of everything. The beauty of the beach becomes even more ethereal at night where one can enjoy late night barbeques or lay down on mats to watch the star-studded sky. There are several beach side restaurants and shacks available for a quick grab and even resorts where you one can spend the night overlooking the stunning Arabian sea.
Things to Do
- Relax on the beach : Manori Beach is a great place to unwind and relax. You can take a dip in the sea or simply sunbathe on the beach.
- Explore the nearby villages : There are several small villages near Manori Beach, such as Manori village and Gorai village, that you can explore. These villages have their own unique culture and traditions.
- Visit the Global Vipassana Pagoda : The Global Vipassana Pagoda is a Buddhist meditation center located near Manori Beach. It is known for its beautiful architecture and peaceful surroundings.
- Enjoy the local cuisine : Manori Beach is known for its seafood, and there are several restaurants and food stalls where you can sample some delicious local cuisine.
- Take a boat ride : You can take a boat ride from Manori Beach to the nearby Gorai Beach. It is a great way to see the coastline and enjoy the sea breeze.
- Watch the sunset : The sunset at Manori Beach is a beautiful sight to behold. You can sit on the beach and watch the sun go down over the Arabian Sea.
Attractions Near Manori Beach
- Kanheri Caves : These are ancient Buddhist caves located in the Sanjay Gandhi National Park, which is about 17 km from Manori Beach. The caves feature intricate carvings and paintings and are a popular tourist attraction.
- Essel World : This is a popular amusement park located in Gorai, which is about 6 km from Manori Beach. It features a range of rides and attractions for all ages, making it a fun day out for families.
- Global Vipassana Pagoda : This is a Buddhist meditation center located in Gorai, which is about 6 km from Manori Beach. The center features a large pagoda that houses a meditation hall and offers panoramic views of the city.
- Sanjay Gandhi National Park : This is a sprawling national park located about 20 km from Manori Beach. It features a range of flora and fauna, including tigers, leopards, and monkeys. Visitors can take a safari tour to explore the park.
- Samudreshwar Temple : Situated at the mouth of the Marve-Manori Jetty on Manori beach, Samudreshwar beach is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and a must-visit sight near Manori beach. Although the temple remains closed for entry most of the time, the structure built in traditional Maharashtran Koli is worth admiring.
- The Sufi Dargah : This quaint sufi dargah is a place of worship mostly visited by devotees. The traditional serene Sufi music emanating from the dargah makes the beach experience more peaceful and enjoyable.
Best Time to Visit
Manori beach is a famous beach spot and is visited by tourists throughout the year for its solitude and serene landscape. But the best time to visit it is during the months of October to March because the weather is pleasant and less humid during this time of the year in Mumbai.
If you want less crowd, then summer months from April to June are best but keep in mind that the heat might get too much to bear. Monsoons are not recommended to visit the beach as the tides are too high during this time and beach might get closed during heavy rains.
Tips for Visiting
- There is no ATM nearby so make sure you have some cash with you to pay for the snacks and beach activities.
- There is enough space for parking near the beach.
- The beach does not offer any adventure rides, so if you are looking for water sports, then head to other beaches in Mumbai.
Resorts Near the Beach
- The Resort Mumbai : This is a popular resort located on Madh Island, which is close to Manori Beach. It offers a range of amenities, including a swimming pool, spa, and various outdoor activities.
- The Retreat Hotel & Convention Centre : This is a luxurious resort located in Madh Island, which is about 5 km from Manori Beach. It has well-appointed rooms, a swimming pool, a spa, and multiple dining options.
- Resort Silver Hills : This is a budget-friendly resort located in Uttan, which is about 3 km from Manori Beach. It offers comfortable rooms, a swimming pool, and a restaurant serving Indian and Chinese cuisine.
- Pali Beach Resort : This is a family-friendly resort located in Uttan, which is about 4 km from Manori Beach. It has spacious rooms, a swimming pool, a children's play area, and various indoor and outdoor activities.
- Sun Beach Resort : This is a beachfront resort located in Gorai, which is about 6 km from Manori Beach. It offers well-appointed rooms, a swimming pool, a restaurant serving Indian and Chinese cuisine, and various outdoor activities.
How to Reach
- By Air : Manori beach is just 19km away from Chhatrapati Shivaji Airport. you can hire a cab or auto directly to the beach from the airport.
- By Train : The nearest train station is in Borivali which is 7km from the beach.
- By Road : Reaching via road in your personal vehicle is one of the best ways to get to Manori beach as public transport is not regularly available and there is a parking spot outside the beach.
- By Ferry : The sea route is the shortest way to Manori beach. It is just a 15-minute ferry ride from the Marve beach in Malad.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)
Where is Manori beach located?
Manori beach is located near a fishing village called as Manori on the Dharavai Bet in northern Mumbai.
What are the timings for Manori beach?
Manori beach is open all days of week and 24hours a day.
Is Manori beach clean?
Manori beach is one of the few clean beaches at North Suburb Island of Mumbai.
Which station is near to Manori beach?
Malad is the closest railway from Manori beach located on the Western Line of the Mumbai Suburban Railway Network.