Patna’s population consists of a majority of Hindus (more than 85%) and many Buddhists(more than 5%), so most Hindu and Buddhist festivals of India are celebrated here, along with few other festivals,such as:
- Chhath puja – The main festival of Bihari Hindus
- Makar Sankranti – A harvest festival, celebrated in January.
- Buddha Jayanthi – Birth anniversary of Gautama Buddha, the founder of Buddhism.
- Pitrapaksha Mela (Fair)
- Navratri and Dussehra – A 10-day festival where goddess Durga is worshipped, and lots of fairs and rituals are carried out.
- Diwali – The festival of lights (usually celebrated in October/November).