Often known as the gateway to other popular beaches in Goa, Candolim beach is the longest beach in the state and a very beautiful one too. Located in North Goa, the beach that begins from Fort Aguada is comparatively quieter and is perfect for lazing, though for water sports lovers, there are some activities like parasailing and water skiing. For a truly immersive Goan experience, Candolim Beach is one of the best places to explore. The beach is a hub for hosting all the happening parties in Goa.However, the beach is less crowded as compared to the other beaches in Goa and therefore is the first choice of the tourists. The nightlife at Candolim attracts locals and tourists alike and is one of the most sought-after beaches when it comes to experiencing water sports or other activities like parasailing, bumpy banana ride, snorkelling, boat ride, jet skiing and even scuba diving!
WATER SPORTS AT CANDOLIM
Scuba Diving : Experience altogether a different world under the sea with Scuba Diving. One of the popular water sports in Goa, Scuba Diving indeed is very thrilling and refreshing. Discover beautiful coral reefs and sea algae. Transcend into the mesmerizing hues of the sea water. It does not matter whether or not you have tried Scuba Diving before, you will be trained by professionals who will help you acclimatize yourself to the world underwater. Moreover, you will also be provided with proper body gear and breathing equipment to ensure that your experience is comfortable and breezy, and at the same time, your safety is not compromised.
- Jet Ski: Definitely one of the most sought-after sports in Goa, Jet Ski gives you all the thrill that your adrenaline needs. To manoeuvre the waters on the high-speed Jet Ski is a feeling that mere words cannot convey. You can either opt for a trainer if you are new to this or can go double with your friend if you already know how to do it.
- Parasailing : Oh! the feeling of flying like a free bird in the never-ending sky. If you love to fly then Parasailing is definitely the sport for you to try. The parasail is secured around the flyer, and the other end is tied to the back of the motorboat. Within seconds of the speedometer turning right, the flyer is lifted off the water into the sky-high clouds.
- Ringo Ride: Also known as Tubing, Ringo Ride is a water sport where you sit in a circular tube as it glides along the surface of the water as a high-speed boat tug it along. Proper instructions and guidance are provided before going on this ride. Children, however, are not allowed to partake this adventure.
- Water Ski: Water Skiing is a water sport where a rope is tied to the skis and the other end to the back of a super-fast speedboat; and one tries to hold on to the rope while cruising over water. It is much easier to keep balance once the boat gains speed. However, children below 5 and women who are expecting are not allowed as they can easily lose their balance with the strong force of the wind and the extreme speed.
- Speed Boating: If you look for speed and thrilling adventures all the time then, speed boating is a sport that can cater to your likings. For safety purpose, it is mandatory to wear a life jacket and you are always accompanied by trained instructors.
- Banana Boat Ride: This sport involves a group of people sitting on one inflatable narrow boat resembling the shape of a banana that glides over the exciting waters at a high speed. Children under 7 years of age are not allowed to take up this activity. Candolim Beach and Baga Beach are famous for these rides.
- Wind Surfing : Balancing oneself on a surfboard as you cruise through the peaks and valleys of the waves, windsurfing truly quenches the yearning of the adventure maniacs. However, a prior experience.
- Kayaking : Sitting in a specially designed boat, at the level of the water surface, and paddling across the calm waters while experiencing the panoramic view of the sparkling waters is what this sport is about. It is a huge hit among international as well as local tourists. The kayak ride goes through mangroves, dense jungles and pristine beaches. The ride is as much about the picturesque beauty of the enveloping surroundings as it is about the thrill. The Zuari, Mandovi and Sal backwaters are famous for this sport, and so are the mystic waters of the Nerul River.
- Water Zorbing : Water zorbing is a sport that cannot be compared to any other water sport because it involves rolling over the surface of the water in a huge plastic ball. It is one of the safer sports, but that does not compromise on the excitement in the least. It is a great way to unwind, relax and rejuvenate as you float across the deep waters of Goa. However, children under the age of 10 are not allowed into the orb. Instructors are constantly present at the site providing instructions.
Colorful Goa has some of the amazing flea markets which are indeed worth a visit. One can buy things ranging from special tea to Kashmiri carpets. Do not forget to bargain while you are shopping at the flea market, otherwise, you might end up getting ripped off.
Goan Fish Curry : Goan fish curry or the Xitti Kodi is the staple diet of every Goan making it a famous food of Goa. The Goan fish curry is loaded with various spices along with coconut. Raw mango is also used to give the dish a tangy flavour. The main ingredients of the dish are a decent-sized Pomfret and raw mango. Instead of Pomfret, Kingfish may also be used. This Goan dish is served along with rice.
- Chicken Cafreal: Cafreal chicken is a spicy green coloured dish that will leave your mouth watering. Grinding green chillies, herbs and various spices together make the masala for the chicken. Then, the chicken is mixed with this masala and fried. This Goan dish does not require anything on the side but it may be served with salads.
- Goan Pork Vindaloo: 'Vin' comes from the word vinegar and 'ahlo' means garlic in Portuguese. It is said that this Goan food was previously called Vindahlo but because of the use of potatoes, folks started calling it Vindaloo (aloo means potatoes). The dish consists of pork, onions, chillies, garlic along with Vinegar and other spices. Masala is prepared using the chillies and other ingredients and is then mixed with meat and vinegar. This mixture is stored overnight. The dish is then friend using onions and other herbs
- Chicken Xacuti: Chicken Xacuti consists of poppy seeds and Kashmiri red chillies. This is yet another Portuguese influenced famous Goan food. The Goan curry consists of chicken, potatoes, onions, coconuts, chillies, and other spices. Kashmiri chillies are specifically used as they give intense hot flavour and also give colour to the dish. This is one of the most popular Goan Food.
- Shark Ambot Tik: Ambot Tik is a Portuguese influenced Goan food. 'Ambot' means sour and 'tik' means spicy. Red chillies (Kashmiri) are used to add spice to the dish and Kokum (Garcinia indicia) is used to make the dish taste sour. Shark fish is diced and tossed with onions, tomatoes and masala.
Asia’s biggest and most loved EDM festival, Sunburn, was started in 2003 in Goa. The grand music festival is organized annually in Vagator, Goa and lasts for 3-5 days. From renowned international artists to esteemed Indian artists, the most celebrated music festival has been successful in bringing the zeal and enthusiasts of music lovers together under one roof. Over the years Sunburn has expanded internationally and toured the majority of Top 100 DJs in the world, including: Swedish House Mafia, Hardwell, David Guetta, Axwell, Dimitri Vegas and Like Mike, Paul Van Dyk, Marshmello, Chainsmokers, Afrojack, Pete Tong, Tiesto, Armin van Buren, Dead Mau 5, Carl Cox, DJ Snake, Skazi, Martin Garrix and so many more. With myriad genre of music playing superfluously, you will be spoiled for choices. The festival attracts more than 3 million people every year.
HOTELS & RESORTS NEAR CANDOLIM
- Aldeia Santa Rita – Discover the colourful charm of Aldeia Santa Rita, a picturesque 3-star hotel located in the heart of Sinquerim, Candolim, Goa. The charm and vibrancy of the colourful houses offer a cozy retreat just steps away from the tranquil beach; this is a place where Portuguese flair meets relaxed beach-side living.
- Aguada Anchorage – Escaping to a world-class resort while staying in the comfort of a private villa or luxury resort residence may be the perfect fit for you. Villas within resorts offer a utopian combination for many travellers.
- Acacia Goa – The hotel promisesto offer unsurpassed levels of hospitality and comfort, delectable cuisines from all over the world.
- Godwin Hotel – When in Godwin, experience luxury by the banks of Holy Ganga. Find peace amongst hills, serenity by the river and spiritual reboot in the pious ambience of Haridwar. The hotel is well equipped with modern amenities that makes for a remarkable stay.
- Casablanca – Casablanca offers an authentic Goan experience to its guests. The hotel is a finely balanced infusion of Goan hospitality, lush gardens. Reminiscent of the pristine, white washed elegance, vibrant energy and comforts of Spain and Portugal. A Perched on the idyllic sandy beaches of Candolim, Goa, Casablanca is a beach side resort that offers you the doorstep to the Arabian Sea.
- Deltin Suites – Deltin Suites is a 5-star casino hotel. It's located 5 minutes from Candolim beach and is known for its intimate and stylish ambience. The spacious suites are styled in playful design accents built along the cozy courtyard which houses a courtyard pool.
- De Alturas Resort – De Alturas Resorts is a four-star Luxury Deluxe Spa resort in Goa, situated in a peaceful location just 500 meters & a 7 minutes’ walk from the famous Candolim beach of North Goa. The place offers a peaceful relaxation and a comfortable memorable holiday to its guests.
- Bougainvillea Guest House – For those wishing to discover an enchanting and peaceful experience, the Bougainvillea guest house is an intimate guest house in goa that offers an exceptional Goan hospitality.
- Alegria - The Goan Village – This Goa beach resort is an amalgamation of quality lavish accommodation, amazing services, and stylish cuisine and facilities for a perfect family holiday. Enjoy a relaxing ambience, relishing the best of food they offer.
- D’Souza’s Holiday Homes – The Hotel overlooks the green fields and is surrounded by tall swinging coconut palm trees. Enjoy a satisfactory stay at the very comfortable D’Souza’s Holiday Homes at an affordable price.
- Fortune Select Regina – The Acron Candolim Regina is a contemporary upscale full-service hotel located off the main road to Fort Aguada in Candolim. Overlooking verdant rice fields and hills with wide, panoramic views to its east including the main Candolim Church, it is a placewhere the vibrant energy blends with comfortable architecture, offering an ideal destination for a memorable holiday or a perfect business trip.
- Banyan Tree Courtyard – Experience a homely feeling at the Banyan Tree Courtyard Goa. It is located in proximity of some of the best restaurants to tickle your taste buds, and you may find some of the exotic variety dishes cooked by local and professional chefs. The rooms at the Banyan Tree Courtyard, however, are stylish, smart and sophisticated with the Portuguese architecture essence to it.
- 360 Degree Beach Retreat – It is a perfect place to rejuvenate one’s sense in Candolim beach of Goa. It is a luxurious boutique hotel that offers the best of services to its guests.
NIGHTLIFE IN CANDOLIM BEACH
- Buena Mesa –Buena Mesa which means ‘Good Table’ is a restaurant in Candolim that provides a beautiful ambiance, good food and to top it off, weekend live music. The Resois de Camaarao with its saucy prawn stuffing, xacutti, balchao, Resois and Sorpotel is a Goan food which is a must try. The restaurant offers African, Mediterranean, Goan, Tapas, and fusion food to cater an amazing experience to its guests.
- Bar Latino – Designed as a Portuguese hamlet, with a Mediterranean influence, by world-renowned architect Charles Correa, Cidade de Goa, our beach resort in Goa, is a blend of luxury, warmth, and the laidback elegance of susegad. It embodies the heart of Goa, both in terms of location and vibe.
- Bar-Be-Que & Grill – If you are looking for a family oriented, good vibe restaurant, then Bar-Be-Que & Grill is the place for you to be at. The interior of the place is themed picnicstyled withwooden benches perched around the pool, the ambience is set to enjoy a variety of succulent grills including a large range of seafood options namely lobsters, Crabs, Red Snappers, etc.
- Jambalaya Restaurant & Bar – Try an array of delectable food with an amazing ambience at Jambalaya Restaurant and Bar. The place offers good quality food and has a quick responsive staff.
- Bon Appetit Restaurant & Bar – One of the busiest and beautiful restaurants in Goa, Bon Appetit Restaurant & Bar is a great option for travellers who are looking for a calm and serene place.
ATTRACTIONS NEAR CANDOLIM
- Calangute Beach –Unarguably one of the most popular beaches in Goa, Calangute Beach is considered as the Queen of Beaches. The beach is also the busiest in North Goa with a hustle bustle of restaurants, shacks, and clubs fringing it. Calangute has a number of water sports available like parasailing, water surfing, banana ride and jet-skiing. The nightlife of Calangute Beach is considered the best with amazing parties and live music for the nightlife lovers.
- Baga Beach – One of the most popular beaches in North Goa, Baga Beach is located close to Calangute beach, around 30 Km North of Panjim. Baga is the perfect destination to witness the dazzling nightlife of Goa as signature places such as Britto's, Tito's and Mambos are located in the vicinity. Being one of the most visited beaches in the North, Baga also offers a vast range of water sports. Baga is so named after the 'Baga creek' which flows into the Arabian Sea. It is also famous for its designer stores as well as its street-side markets.
- Fort Aguada – >Fort Aguada is a 17th-century Portuguese fort looking out at the confluence of Mandovi River and the Arabian Sea. The crumbling ramparts of the fort stand on the Sinquerim Beach, approximately 18 km from Panjim. The highlight of the fort is a lone four-storey lighthouse (which is one-of-its-kind in Asia) and a stunning view of the sunset. Built-in 1612 as a protection from Dutch and Marathas, Fort Aguada was the most prized and crucial fort for the Portuguese and covers the entire peninsula at the southwestern tip of Bardez. The fort is so named after the Portuguese Word for water i.e., 'Agua' and used to be a replenishing source of freshwater for sailors. In fact, it has the capacity to hold 2,376,000 gallons of water and was one of the biggest freshwater reservoirs of Asia.
- Chapel of St. Lawrence – Overlooking Mandovi River, Church of St. Lawrence, located atop Sinquerim Hill was built in the mid-16th century by the Jesuits. The church is dedicated to the martyr St. Lawrence who is also considered to be the patron saint of the cooks and the poor. Tourists are drawn for its religious significance, the age-old Portuguese architecture, and the annual feast held on the 10th of every August.
- Candolim Church – Our Lady of Hope Church which also goes by the name Candolim church is a renowned, simple and elegant church in Goa. The church building is a profound example of historic architecture.
TIPS TO VISIT THE BEACH
- It is recommended to avoid travelling to Candolim Beach during peak season since the beach is overcrowded during these times with people and you might not be able to enjoy to the fullest.
- It’s important to apply a high SPF before heading into the beach.
- Be alert when on the beach. There might be cases of strong rip current in the monsoon season at Candolim Beach, and during such times red flags are marked at the beach, which means you should restrict from swimming and trying other water sports activities.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
The best time to Visit Candolim Beach is between October and March when the weather is pleasant and there are no rains. When in Candolim beach, the most appropriate time to witness the mesmerizing sunrises and sunsets are between 6 AM to 6 PM.
How To Reach
- By Air – If you are keen on travelling to Candolim by air, then, Dabolim is the nearest airport to reach Candolim, which is at a distance of 46 km. From the airport, you can hail a car or taxi to reach the beach.
- By Rail – The nearest railway station to Candolim is located at Thivim (Thivim Railway Station), which is 21 km away. The duration is 30 minutes to reach at Candolim Beach.
- By Road – Candolim Beach is well connected to the Panaji Bus Station, which is at a distance of 12 km. There are many KTC (Kadamba Transport Corporation) and private bus operator from Panaji bus stop to Candolim. You can also take bus from Mapsua to reach Candolim in maximum 15 minutes.