Chandragiri Fort was built in the 11th century by the Yadava rulers in the region. It later came under the control of the flourishing Vijayanagara empire in the region, with the popular future Vijayanagara King Sri Krishna Devaraya being raised here. When he became the king, Chandragiri fort was made his kingdom’s capital and remained so for some years.
Years later, in 1460. A.D. the fort was captured (by Odra Gajapati Kapilendra Dev). In the mid-17th century, the fort was annexed to the popular Golkonda territory and subsequently came under the rule of the Kingdom of Mysore . In the 17th century, the fort had a huge significance. It was the place where the pact of granting lands for Fort St. George (a monument built by the British who came to India for trading) to the British was first signed.
Presently the fort is under the control of the Government of Andhra Pradesh.
The Chandragiri fort was constructed using stone, brick and lime mortar.
There are a total of eight temples inside the fort complex, and other structures like Raja Mahal (King’s palace), Rani Mahal (Queen’s palace) and some structures which are now ruined.
Raja Mahal is now converted into an Archaeological Museum by the Archaeological Survey of India. And it houses models and relics related to the fort, its temples and other structures of surrounding area.
Chandragiri Fort is open to visitors between 10 AM and 8.45 PM every day, on all days of the week.
An entry fee of INR 20 per head is applicable for every Indian national (adult) visitor to this place, and for foreigners (adult), the entrance fee applicable is INR 100 per head. The fee for kids and children is INR 10.
Tirupati is well connected to cities across India as well as other parts of the world. The city can be reached by air, rail or road.