Vadodara (also known as Baroda) is a city in the west Indian state of Gujarat . It is the third-largest city in the state.
Earlier named Baroda, this city got the name Vadodara due to the abundance of “Vad” or Banyan trees here.
Some of the top places to see in Vadodara include the following –
- Sayaji Garden Vadodara
- Sardar Patel Planetarium
- Gaekwad Baroda Golf Club (The oldest golf club in Gujarat state; a grand royal golf course with state-of-the-art facilities)
- Narmada Canal (A great place for a picnic or day trip, with scenic views of water and greenery)
- Makarpura Palace
- EME Temple, Vadodara
- Surya Narayan Temple
- Nyaya Mandir
- Laxmi Vilas Palace
- Baps Shri Swaminarayan Temple
- Maharaja Sayajirao University (Established in 1949)
- Hazira Maqbara (Mausoleum of Qutb-ud-din Muhammad Khan, who was the tutor of Prince Salim, the son of the third Mughal emperor Akbar)
- Vadodara Museum & Picture Gallery
- Maharaja Fateh Singh Museum
The major festivals celebrated in Vadodara are –
- Holi – The festival of colors (people throw colorful powders on each other).
- Krishna Janmashtami – The birth anniversary of Lord Krishna.
- Raksha Bandhan – A Hindu festival that celebrates the bond of brothers and sisters.
- Navaratri – A 9-day festival where people worship goddess Durga in different ways, and perform various rituals, plays and dances. One of Gujarat’s most popular festivals – especially for its dances during this time.
- Dussehra – the 10th day after Navaratri, on which effigies of the ten-headed demon Raavana are burnt, to symbolize the destruction of evil.
If you’d like to buy some souvenirs, some things to buy from Vadodara are - silver Jewellery, ethnic & traditional wear, local handicrafts, decor items, footwear, applique quilts and local (Gujarati) snacks.
Some of the best shopping spots to check out in Vadodara are –
- Teen Darwaza Bazaar
- Khadi Bhandar
- Madar Market
- Alkapuri Arcade
- Nava Bajar
- Mangal Bazaar
- Inorbit Mall
- Eva The Mall
- Centre Square
- Vadodara Central
- Southwest Central Mall
Gujarati cuisine is predominant in Vadodara’s food scene. This cuisine is known for its tasty snacks and sweet food items (sugar is used considerably in most of the dishes).
Following is a list of some of best restaurants in Vadodara to try the local delicacies as well as other interesting foods and sumptuous meals –
- WelcomCafe Cambay
- 22nd Parallel
- Mahakali Sev Usal
- Shree Kathiyawadi Khadki 4
- That Place
- Sasumaa Gujarati Thali
- Havmor Restaurant
- Mirch Masala
- Raju Omlet
- Sankalp Retsaurant
- Rasthal Gujarati Thali
- Cafe Fitoor
Some of the best hotels in Vadodara for a comfortable stay include the following –
- Grand Mercure Vadodara Surya Palace
- Vivanta Vadodara
- GenX Vadodara
- Hotel Furatt International
- The Fern Residency
- Hotel Avista Vadodara
- Lemon Tree Hotel Vadodara
- Ginger Vadodara
- Sayaji Hotel
- Hotel Ideal Vadodara
- Four Points by Sheraton Vadodara
- Hotel Express Residency
- Rishi Rich Soda Pub
- Cloud 3 Disco Lounge
- Kashmiri Soda Pub
- Vadodara STD Code – 0265 (to be used before dialling numbers from a device that is not locally registered)
- Fire & Rescue: 101
- Police: 100
- Ambulance: 102
- Women Helpline: 1091
- Child Helpline: 1098
Gujarati, Marathi, Hindi, and English are the languages spoken in Vadodara.
- Welcome - svagat
- How are you? - Aap kaise hai?
- What's your name? - Aapka naam kya hai?
- I don't know - Mujhe nahi pata
- I don't understand - Mein samjha nahi
- Thank you - Dhanyavad
- Welcome - padhaaro
- How are you? - tame kem chho
- What's your name? - taru naam su chhe
- Where are you from? - tame kyaan na chho
- Goodbye - avjo
- Good night - shubh ratri
- Welcome - Tumcha svagat aso
- How are you? - Tu kas ahes
- What's your name? - Tujha nav kay ahe
- Where are you from? - Apaṇ kothale ahat?
- Good morning - Su-prabhat
- Have a nice day - Sukhi raha