Formerly known as Mysore State, Karnataka is a state in the southwestern region of India. On 1st November 1956, Karnataka was formed as Mysore State, with the passage of the States Reorganisation Act and in 1973 it was renamed Karnataka. Bengaluru is the capital and largest city. Spread across an area of 191,791 km2, it is the sixth largest state in India by area. Karnataka is bordered by Andhra Pradesh from the east, Goa from the northwest, Maharashtra from the north, Telangana from the northeast, Tamil Nadu from the southeast, Kerala from the southwest, and Lakshadweep Sea from the west. The official language of Karnataka is Kannada.
- Bangalore â€“ Bangalore is the Capital and the top-grade city of Karnataka. Officially known as Bengaluru, Bangalore is popular as the Silicon Valley of India because of being the hub of aerospace, engineering, and electronics.
- Coorg â€“ Known as the Scotland of India, Coorg is a rural district in Karnataka. Is also called Kodagu, and is a scenic place to visit with beautiful hilly ranges, a pleasant climate, and coffee plantation zones.
- Hampi â€“ Referring to the bunch of mountains, Hampi is a town situated in the Vijayanagara district of Karnataka. Spread over an area of 4,187.24 ha, the relics of Hampi are one of the major attractions of the town.
- Udupi â€“ Udupi is a city in Karnataka and serves as the administrative headquarters of the Udupi district. Udupi is one of the rapidly growing cities in Karnataka.
- Gokarna â€“ Located in the Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka, Gokarna is a small temple town. Gokarna means cow's ear and it is believed that Shiva arises in this place from the ear of a cow.
- Mysore â€“ Officially known as Mysuru, Mysore is situated at the foothills of Chamundi Hills in Karnataka. Spread across a total area of 152.05 km2, Mysore is located towards the southwest of Bangalore.
- Mangalore â€“ Officially known as Mangaluru, Mangalore is a port city in Karnataka. The city maintains a tropical monsoon climate and is a clean city andan important business center.
- Belgaum â€“ Founded during the late 12th century AD by the Ratta Dynasty, Belgaum is a city in Karnataka. One of the oldest, most outstanding, and most well-cultured historical places, Belgaum is nuzzled high in the Western Ghats.
- Davanagere â€“ The 7th largest city of Karnataka, Davanagere is a city situated in the center of the State. The city supports a wide-scale of textile industry and is a trading center for cotton and grain.
- Hubli-Dharwad â€“ The twin cities of Karnataka, Hubli-Dharwad is the second largest municipality of Karnataka. This twin city is popular for its beautiful and scenic hills and temples.
With hosting beautiful cities that offer a wide range of attractional and scenic places including alluring hills and cascading waterfalls, Karnataka also actively participates in providing memorable moments to its visitors through adventurous activities like River Rafting, Trekking, Rock Climbing, etc.
- Scuba Diving in Netraniâ€“ An enchanting Island, Netrani is one of the Islands off Murudeshwara town of Uttar Kannada District. Also called Pigeon Island, Netrani Island is popular for its Scuba diving activity.
- Dandeli White Water Rafting â€“ White water rafting in Dandeli, Karnataka is one of the best adventurous activities. Located on the banks of Kali River, the White Water Rafting in Dandeli is suitable for both newbies and trained Rafter as it is done with required safety measures and with proper instructions.
- Kodachadri Hills â€“ A Natural Heritage Site, which is part of the Western Ghats and forms a beautiful backdrop to the sacred Kollur Mookambika Temple, Kodachadri Hills is a perfect destination to explore the experience of trekking.
- Kundadri Hills â€“ Kundadri Hill is a gigantic massive rock formation,encompassed with dense evergreen forests, and it is a beautiful place for trekking. Trek to Kundadri Hills is filled with the rugged and rocky path which willhead to a Jain temple, Parshwanath Chaityalaya, a stone structure, situated atop the hill. Kundadri Hills is also ideal for the Camping experience.
- Ramanagara Rock Climbing â€“ A famous spot, known for being a shooting location of the Evergreen Bollywood movie Sholay from 1975, Ramamagara, a place with gigantic rocks is also an ideal place for Rock Climbing.
- Microlight Flying in Bangalore â€“ For a person who wants to experience thrill and adventure, Microlight Flying in Bangalore, is the perfect activity for them. This activity allows us to witness and admire the IT hub, i.e., Bangalore from 3700 ft to 4000 ft. The Microlight Flightis 2 passengers Aircraft.
- Tadiandamol â€“ The highest summit of Coorg town and second highest summit of Karnataka State, Tadiandamol is heaven for Trekkers. Situated at an elevation of 5735 ft, it is a scenic and alluring summit covered with green and grassy slopes.
- Big Rock Dirt Park - Big Rock Dirt Park is an adventurous motorcycle riding center, managed by a famous motorcycle racer from Karnataka, CS Santosh. Big Rock Dirt Park gives you the opportunity to ride imported dirt bikes on challenging tracks.
- Sada Falls Trek â€“ Situated in the Belagavi district, Sada waterfall is a majestic and unusual waterfall deep in the Western Ghats forests. Trek to Sada Fall is a guided trek and is a known activity that offers scenic views of cascading waterfalls and two big hills.
- Black Sand Beachâ€“ Black Sand Beach is located in Karwar City which is also a popular destination in the Uttar Kannada District of Karnataka. The beach is popular for its sand which looks like black sesame. The beach is also known as Tilmati Beach.
- Devnagh Beach â€“ Devbagh Beach is the most famous beach in the coastal city of Karwar. This beach is known for hosting various water sports, sighting of sighting Sea Eagles, and Dolphin Ride.
- Kapu beach â€“ Situated in the Udupi District, Kapu Beach is a famous tourist destination. The Beach is known for its lighthouse which is located on top of a giant rock.
- Malpe beach â€“ Malpe is a calm and quiet beach located near the temple town of Udupi. Situated 7 km from Udupi, Malpe beach is an untouched and natural beach, which is an important port and a fishing dock.
- Maravanthe Beach â€“ Maravanthe Beach is another famous beach in the Udupi District. Maravanthe is known for its unique location, which is surrounded by the Arabian Sea from one side and the Souparnika River on the other. The combination of Sea and River in the same place is hard to find in India, and thus Maravanthe Beach is one of a kind in India.
- Mattu beach â€“ Mattu Beach is one of the untouched and unharmed attractions of the State. An alluring beach decorated with tall Palm and Coconut trees.
- Om Beach â€“ A major tourist attraction in Gokarna, a small temple city of Uttara Kannada district, Om Beach is one of the most praised beaches in the country. Accessible by trekking or boating, Om Beach got its name because of its unique shape which resembles Om, a Hindu spiritual symbol.
- Ottinene Beach â€“ Located in coastal Karnataka, Ottinene Beach is a scenic and impressive beach. It is popular because of the steep rock situated near the beach which gives a dazzling view of the beach.
- Panambur Beach â€“ One of the most popular beaches of Mangalore city, Panambur Beach is acknowledged as one of the safest and most well-managed beaches. The beach looks captivating during sunset.
- Someshwara Beach â€“ Situated on the outskirts of Mangalore City, Someshwara Beach is a rocky beach. Someshwara is a place where River Netravati and the Arabian Sea assemble. The beach is named after the Someshwara Temple located near the beach.
- Agumbe - Situated in the Shivamogga district in Karnataka, Agumbe is a village nuzzled in the dense forested Malenadu region of the Western Ghats Mountain range. Agumbe is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, that offers a picturesque view with gushing waterfalls, rare hazy sunsets, and greenery.
- BR hills â€“ Abode to more than 200 species of birds and wild animals like tigers, elephants, leopards, sloth bears, deer, etc. BR hills is an art of nature. Looks beautiful when covered with mystical mist, BR hills are near both Bangalore and Mysore.
- Nandi Hills - Known for the mesmerizing sight of sunrise and sunset, Nandi hills is a hill station located at a distance of 61 km from Bangalore. Situated in the Chikkaballapur district of Karnataka, Nandi Hills is an ancient hill station, built by the Ganga Dynasty.
- Mullayyanagiri Hill â€“ The highest summit of Karnataka, Mullayyanagiri Hill is nestled in the Chandra Dhrona Hill Ranges of the Western Ghats of Chikkamagaluru District.
- Folklore Museum, Mysuru â€“ Situated in the historical city of Mysore, the Folklore Museum is a museum that showcases the folk art and crafts of Karnataka.
- Government Museum, Bangalore â€“ Founded in 1865 by the Mysore State, Government Museum in Bangalore is the second oldest museum in South India and one of the oldest museums in India.
- Indian Music Experience Museum (IME) â€“ Indian Music Experience Museum is a museum located in the Bengaluru city of Karnataka. The museum exhibits the history and evolution of Indian music.
- Hogenkkal waterfalls â€“ Situated on the Tamil Nadu and Karnataka border, Hogenkkal waterfalls is a waterfall on the Kaveri River. The waterfalls come under the area of Chamrajnagar district of Karnataka.
- Manikyadhara Waterfalls â€“ Situated in the Bababudangiri hills of Chikmagalur district, Manikyadhara is a popular waterfall. The word Manikyadhara literally means a stream of pearls.
- Sathodi falls â€“ Situated in the Western Ghats, Sathodi Falls is a scenic rectangular-shaped waterfall. The waterfall is a combination of several unknown streams that join at a place near Kallaramane Ghat and become Sathodi Falls.
- Sirimane falls - Sirimane waterfalls is situated at a distance of 15 km from Sringeri Sharamba temple in the Chikmagalur district. The road to the waterfall crosses through Kigga village which is famous for the Rishyashringa temple.
- Unchalli falls â€“ Situated in the Uttara Kannada district, Unchalli Falls is also known as Lushington Falls. It is a famous waterfall, created from the Aghanashini River which plunges 116 m in a particular place andforms aglorious waterfall.
- Shivanasamudra â€“ Located in the Chamarajanara district, Shivanasamudra is a known waterfall on the Kaveri River. The Shivanasamudra is a combination of two separate waterfalls, Gagana Chukki and Bhara Chukki.
Things To Do
- Dubare River Rafting, Coorg â€“ Apart from offering views of scenic landscapes, Coorg also hosts adventurous activities. Situated 28 km from Coorg, Dubare Jungle Camp provides a thrilling experience of River Rafting.
- Gokarna Beach Trek and Camping â€“ Gokarna beach is anideal destination for travelers, filled with golden sand beaches, rugged cliffs, and outstanding views of the sunset. Spending time to witness this beautiful beach and then relaxing in the cozy camps is a perfect way to spend the holiday.
- Mysore Dussehra â€“ If you are planning to visit Mysore or somewhere near it then you must tally your dates with Dussehra because witnessing the excitement and celebration of Dussehra is a different level of experience. During this time the whole town is decorated beautifully like a new bride.
Places to visit - Top Destinations
- Mysore Palace â€“ Located in Mysore City, Mysore Palace is a historical palace and a royalresidencethat is a major attraction of the town. The Palace is also known as Amba Vilas Palace.
- ISKCON Sri Radha Krishna Temple â€“ Established in 1997, ISKCON Sri Radha Krishna Temple situated in Bangalore is one of the largest temples of its type. The temple is a mixture of spiritual and contemporary design. The chief deities of this Temple are the shrines of Krishna and Radha.
- Sri Chamarajendra Zoological Gardens â€“ Famously known as Mysore Zoo, Sri Chamarajendra Zoological Gardens is the popular Zoo in Karnataka and one of the oldest zoos in India. The Sri Chamarajendra Zoological Gardens is abode to many wildlife including Tigers including White Tigers, Jaguars, Lions, Zebra, giraffes, Leopards, Rhinos,Elephants, Hippopotamus, and Birds.
- Lalbagh Botanical Garden â€“ Situated in Bangalore, Lalbagh Botanical Garden is one the major attractions of the state. Spread across an area of 24 acres, Lalbagh Botanical Garden is an extended garden that is abode to Indiaâ€™s largest collection of sub-tropical plants andtropical plants, including manycenturies-old trees.
- Wonderla Amusement Park â€“ One of Indiaâ€™s largest amusement and water theme park, WonderLa is located in the Ramanagara district, the outskirts of Bengaluru. Wonderla Amusement Park Bangalore is spread across an area of 82 acres and has over 60 exciting and thrilling rides that offer entertainment and fun for all age groups. There is also a Resort inside the amusement park.
- Bangalore Palace â€“ Constructed in 1878, the Bangalore Palace is the major attraction of Bengaluru City. The palace holds an extraordinary aura that reminds us of the culture and tradition of the forgotten period. Apart from being the centerpiece of the city, the Palace also accommodates cultural events, concerts, Rock Shows, and Weddings.
- Raja's seat â€“ One of the famous tourist spots, Rajaâ€™s seat is located in Coorg. It is a beautiful place offeringlively and refreshingsurroundings and a soothing environment.The place got this name because the King of Coorg used to visit this place and enjoyed the mesmerizing landscape.
- Hampi â€“ Hampi is a town situated in the Vijayanagara District. The town is popular for the Group of Monuments at Hampi h is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Coorg â€“ A rural district in Karnataka, Coorg he Scotland of India. It is a famous destination spot in Karnataka due to its beautiful landscapes and mesmerizing sunset.
- Gokarna â€“ A small temple town in the Uttara Kannada District, Gokarna popular destination that hosts an outstanding Gokarna Beachart from being a tourist destination spot, Gokarna Beach also ideal for trekking and camping experiences.
- Taj West End Bengaluru â€“ Taj West End Hotel in Bengaluru is a five-star rated heritage hotel. One of the oldest Hotels in the town, built in 1887, the hotel is a private zone under the Taj Group's business hotels section.
- Angsana Oasis Spa & Resort â€“ Situated along the blooming greenery of the landscape, Angsana Oasis Spa & Resort of Bangalore, offers luxury and comfort to its customers. With its blending of Asian heritage with the modern style of architecture, Angsana Oasis provides analive and refreshing experience to its guests.
- Palm Meadows Resort â€“ Palm Meadows Resort is a hotel with the extended service ofa club and gated residential complex. A small town on its own, Palm Meadows Resort is a safe paradisethat provides an environment to relax, swim, and work out in a huge gym.
- The Tamara Coorg â€“ The Tamara Coorg is a luxurious hotel witha 56-key resort and covers an area of 180.2 acres that produces Coffee, Cardamom, Pepper, and Honey. Currently,The Tamara Coorg is one of the few places in the world that is built inside a functional coffee plantation. This gives the resort the advantage to offer guests a unique proposition of a 360-degree coffee experience from Blossom to brew at the Verandah
- Grand Mercure Mysore â€“ Situated on the famous Dassara Procession Pathway, Grand Mercure Mysore is close to all tourist spots in Mysore. The hotel provides 146 rooms and suites, including a rooftop swimming pool, gym for workouts, dining restaurant, in-house bar, free WiFi, play area for kids, and Spa.
- Courtyard by Marriott Bengaluru Hebbal â€“ Encompassed by lush greenery and a beautiful view of Nagavara Lake, Courtyard by Marriott Bengaluru, is a lavish Hotel for a stay. Situated at a distance of 28 km from Kempegowda International Airport Bengaluru, Courtyard by Marriott Bengaluru is the closest Mariott hotel tothe airport.
- ITC Gardenia, a Luxury Collection Hotel, in Bengaluru â€“ Inspired by the gardens of Bengaluru, ITC Gardenia is a hotel with refreshing and pleasant surroundingsin a lively metropolis. The Hotel Conveniently is located in the commercial heart of Bengaluru, with 292 luxurious rooms and suites
- JW Marriott Hotel Bengaluru â€“ Situated in the heart of Bengaluru,JW Marriott Hotel is a luxurious and wonderful hotel.Located at a distance of 3 km from Cubbon Park and just 850 m away from UB City, Koramangala, JW Marriott Hotel Bengaluru is a five-star rated hotel that provides a personal location near some of Bengaluru's major attractions.
- Shangri-La Bengaluru - Shangri-La Hotel situated in Bangalore, features an award-winning restaurant and 5 specialtyoutdoor dining options, a well-equipped health club,and an outdoor swimming pool.
- The Leela Palace Bengaluru â€“ A luxurious getaway, The Leela Palace in Bengaluru is ideal for a weekend stay.The hotel offers the service of award-winning palaces, hotels, and resorts in a stunning area, supported by the stability of safety and the renowned Leela service.
- Byg Brewski Brewing Company â€“ By Brewski Brewing Company is a remarkable space providing a stunning and modern microbrewerywith outside tables next to a koi pond. The restaurant serves a delicious menu of Asian light bites.
- By The Blue â€“ Situated in the Koramangala locality of Bengaluru, By the Blue is North Indian Restaurantwith a high-end hotel pool, and chilling vibe. The restaurant is best known for brunch.
- La Gardenia â€“ Located in the Hotel Regaalis in Mysore, La Gardenia provides the best quality food service. One of the best places in the town for havinglunch and dinner.It offersdelicious yet affordable food services in this area.
- Mosaic - The Global Cuisine Restaurantâ€“ Located in Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Mysore, Mosaic- The Global Cuisine Restaurant, is a contemporary restaurant that offers 24-hour service. The Restaurant serves a wide range of cuisines anda tempting range of International and Western dishes, and Indian and local delights.
- Oyster Bay - One of the best dine-in restaurants in Mysore town, Oyster Bay Restaurant is known for its lavish multi-cuisine meals including European,Chinese, Vegetarian, Nonvegetarian, and Seafood. The Restaurant also adds Chefâ€™s special dish to the menu every day.
- Time Traveller â€“ Located in the Bomasandra locality of Bengaluru, Time Traveller Restaurant offers Continental, North Indian, South Indian, and Chinese menus. The Restaurant is known for its vegetarian spread of Chinese, Continental & North Indian dishes.
- Indian Durbar â€“ Located in the Halsuru locality of Bengaluru, Indian Durbar Restaurant serves its customer homestyle dishes & desserts along with cocktails & wine.Justifying the name, Indian Durbar offers a royal treatment with stately dishes.
- Phoenix Marketcity â€“ The largest mall in the top-notch Bangalore city, Phoenix Marketcity is spread across an area of 1,400,000 sq. ft. The mall hosts a variety of products and top brands.
- Mantri Square Mall - Situated in the Malleswaram area in Bangalore, Karnataka, Mantri Square Mall is one of the biggest malls in the country. The mall also has metro rail connectivity with the Sampige Road metro station.
- UB City â€“ UB City is a luxury business district in Bangalore that consists of 6 blocks, UB Tower, Kingfisher Plaza, Concorde, Canberra, Comet, and Kingfisher Towers. The UB City has a total built-up area of over 16 lakh sq ft. Initiated by the UB Group with thepartnership of Prestige Group.
- Garuda Mall â€“ Garuda Mall is one of the biggest shopping malls in Bangalore having the best brands in clothing, footwear, Dine, entertainment, and many more.
- Mall Of Mysore â€“ The first premium retail & entertainment destination mall in Mysore, Mall of Mysore is amongst India's best-visualized shopping centers. The Mall of Mysore is set to define the shopping and relaxation experience in Mysore.
- Nexus Mall â€“ A full-fledged retail mall, Nexus Mall is situated in the Koramangala locality of Bangalore. The mall offers a variety of brands in clothing and accessories and provides services like a prayer room, Wheelchair facility, EV charging, Ambulance service, etc.
- Orion Mall â€“ Hosting one of the best Shopping centers, markets, and restaurants, Orion Mall situated in Brigade Gateway in Bangalore, is the most scenic Mall in Karnataka. The mall hosts over 150 International and National Brands withpopular Restaurants and entertainment areas.
- Mysore Saree Udyog LLP â€“ Mysore Saree Udyog LLP is a Spacious, and groomed store that offers a wide variety of sarees, wedding outfits & accessories.
- Brigade Road â€“ Known for having a variety of products and ranges, Brigade Road is also called Commercial Street. It is one of the oldest and busiest streets that hosts a high range of boutiques to affordable small-range shops, the street offers a variety of products be it jewelry, clothes, or footwear.
The major language of Karnataka is Kannada, a Dravidian language that is spoken by the majority of people of the State. Apart from Kannada, the state is abode to nearly 150 languages belonging to different language families. After Kannada, other languages which are spoken widely are Urdu, Konkani,Tulu, andKodava. Due to sharing the borders with Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Kerala, and Goa, languages like Tamil, Telugu, Marathi, Malayalam, and Konkani languages are also spoken widely.
- Dasara â€“ Popularly known as Mysore Dasara, Dasara is a 10 days festival celebrated grandly in Mysore city of Karnataka. The festival starts with nine nights called Navaratri and lasts till Vijayadashami. The tradition was started in the early 14th Century by the Vijayanagar Kings.
- Pattadakal Danceâ€“ Pattadakal Dance is a three-day festival, celebrated to cherish the culture and traditions related to Dance and Music. The festival is organized in front of the Temple which makes these cultural performances much more fascinating.
- Ganesha Chaturthi â€“ Celebratedly grandly in almost every city of the State, Ganesha Chaturthi is a major festival of Karnataka. Observed on the very day of Lord Ganeshaâ€™s birthday, heightened and huge idols of Lord Ganesh are made for this occasion.
- Ugadi â€“ Also called Yugadi, Ugadi is a traditional festival of Karnataka. On this day everyone wears new traditional clothes after taking an oil bath. People offer prayers and offerings, and every family member worships the Panchanga and prays for a prosperous year.
- Hampi Utsav â€“ One of the oldest festivals of Karnataka, Hampi Utsav is also called Vijaya Utsav. The festival is celebrated in the Vijaynagara District of Karnataka.
- Kambala Festival â€“ An annual festival celebrated in the Dakshina Kannada District of Karnataka, Kambala Festival starts in November and lasts till March. During this festival, the traditional Buffalo race is organizedwhich the farming community participates.
- Makar Sankranti â€“ Makar Sankranti is a popular festival of Karnataka celebrated o mark the harvest season. During this occasion, children and women knock on every doorand exchangeplates containing a portion of sugarcane, a mixture of sesame seeds and jaggery, and candy made of caramelized sugar.
- Mysore Pak â€“ Originated in Mysore City, Mysore Pak is an Indian sweet prepared with ghee.
- Mysore Masala Dosa â€“ Mysore Masala Dosa is crisp and soft dosa stuffed with a mashed potato dish served along with red chutney and coconut chutney.
- Mangalore Buns â€“ Made with flour, mashed bananas, and sugar and spiced with a pinch of ground cumin, Mangalore buns are sweet fried bread.
- Neer Dosa â€“ Neer Dosa is a cuisine of coastal Karnataka. The word Neer is a word from the Kannada languagewhich means water. To justify its name, Neer Dosa is a simple dish made with watery rice batter without the fermentation process.
- Kundapura Koli Saaru â€“ Kundapura Koli Saaru is a different style of Chicken curry and is very popular in Mangalore. The gravy of the curry is made from onion, garlic, ginger, and other spices along with coconut milk. The curry tastes perfect with neer dosa, roti, or rice.
A land endowed with a rich history, brilliantly crafted temples, dense forests, pristine beaches, and all the bounties of nature, Karnataka is a place where diverse culture and heritage along with the contemporary romance of ethnicities blend to form a world worth exploring.